Controlling a WinCC flexible application by web

vlad.colesnic

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you a question regarding a SCADA application that is meant to be controlled from distance. I must build an application that is going to run on a PC situated in an isolated place, that has internet access and is going to be used by a person that is staying somewhere else in its office. As soon as a problem occurs, somebody must move to that place and control the instalation from that PC. My client asked me not to do this by using a clasic remote administrator program that gives access to the entire PC but to use a SCADA that has a dedicated function (functioning as a web server).

Do you know if WinCC flexible is capable of doing this or do you know any other program that can fulfill this request?

Thank you in advance,
Vlad Colesnic

There is an option on (some?) siemens HMIs to access and if needed also control HMI using nothing more than browser. It is called Sm@rtAccess / [EMAIL="Sm@rtServer."]Sm@rtServer.[/EMAIL]

While this looks like good idea, it's been horribly slow in practice - even on a local network. In fact using just one browser (client) to monitor HMI (in training for example) was putting so much load that already slugish HMI was brought to it's knees and often would stop responding all together. It looks like HMIs (MP277) our customer selected for the project have CPU that is at least 10x slower than what it should be. Maybe some other/newer units have more resources and perform better. At the same time other platforms do much better and interract with same S7 CPU without problem. If you need to use WinCC Flexible as development platform, I would ask supplier to arrange demo/presentation and have a close look at functionality and performance.

Last edited:
You need SmartService for WinCC Flex. It creates a web page on the computer or panel. You can then connect to the web page. From the web page you can take control of the PC using a VNC type program that Siemens has put into the web page.

I use this almost every day for remote service and support.

http://www.automation.siemens.com/h...flexible-optionen/wincc-flex-smartservice.htm

edit:
I am using WinCC Flex PC Runtime. I don't use this on panels. I have not seen any speed problems other than internet connection speeds. If my customer has a fast connection which most do I see very little delay and we see no slow down on the PC on the machine. I use this all over the US and from US to Europe and Mexico. I don't use the smartaccess at all so I can't say anything about that. Also all my systems are PC so I don't know how smartservice works with panels. I am sure I have more HP on my PC than the panels have so I can see where you might have a performance issue with panels.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. I just have a question, this SmartAccess and SmartService are they expansion packs for WinCC flexible? I have searched on my WinCC instalation disk and I didn't find them there as options. So i presume they have to be bought separately. Do you know how much costs a licence for each of them?

Thanks again,
Vlad Colesnic

For the panels you do not need te install any software. Just activate it in Flex. But you need a license !
I think for the PC runtime, it will be something similar.

Cost: around 300 euros / license I think.

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. I just have a question, this SmartAccess and SmartService are they expansion packs for WinCC flexible? I have searched on my WinCC instalation disk and I didn't find them there as options. So i presume they have to be bought separately. Do you know how much costs a licence for each of them?

Thanks again,
Vlad Colesnic