Removing Isolation Transformer

ddnnis

I am designing a 24vdc control that does not utilize a PLC. I am thinking about running the 230V line straight to the input side of a SOLA DC power supply (SDN4-24-100LP). The machine has one 2HP, 3PH ac motor, which I will control with a VFD.In the pass I have always isolated the control voltage power supplys with an isolation transformer. Since there is no PLC an minimal electronics, I was thinking of removing the isolation transformer. Not sure if the Power Supply itself would provide enough isolation. Just trying to get opions and thoughts.

That supply is a small switcher. It isolated internally. No need for an isolation transformer. I can't remember a SMPS supply where I didn't see isolation. It's inherent in the design.

I took a look at the spreadsheet for this unit.
http://www.sola-hevi-duty.com/products/powersupplies/devicenet.htm
It meets Class 1, Div 2 isolation as it stands.
I can't see a reason you should be concerned with removing the isolation transformer.

Class 1, Div 2 has absolutely no bearing on the OP's question.

A Class I Hazardous Location is one in which flammable gases or vapors may be present in the air in sufficient quantities to be explosive or ignitable.

Div 1 means it is a location where these flammable gases/vapors are normally present under normal operating conditions. Div 2 means that those gases/vapors ~may~ be present in an abnormal (i.e., breakdown) situation.

Sola, Puls, and AB all make power supplies that have 480 VAC as the supply voltage. I use these in a lot of cabinets where I really don't need 120VAC and therefore don't need another transformer.