Version Control Software

The Plc Kid

Does anyone know of a free version control software that works well with ab plc program files?

I need something to help me keep track of program changes on my laptop.

We are thing about going to factorytalk asset center or mdt software to do this on the plc network but we have to do some equipment upgrades to get everything on the same network first so maybe sometime mid next year.

But in the meantime i need something free or low cost just to run on my laptop. Any suggestions?

I find the revision log inside Logix or using MS Word is a simple way of doing things. Assuming you're the only one changing the files, it's up to you to maintain the log.

...and you want this "free"?
I suspect that your only recourse is going to be to write your own and do not keep track of the hours that you spend writing, testing and debugging. :)

BTW, when it is done please post it here for everyone else to use, free of course.

Russ

With all due respect there is a freeware choice out there for just about any type of software.

I just thought someone here may know of something they have used before.

Many years ago (20) in a job where I did a lot of C/C++ development along with plc, hmi, acad, binary files, etc, I used an early version of PVCS. It worked very well, supported more than one user, but wasn't free. I would hope the freeware stuff of today would be close to what PVCS was back then but haven't tried anything lately.