another red lion g3 question

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I called support and they havent called me back yet. I know a few people use them here.

Is there any way to increase the amount of time the momentary push button holds the bit?

you can set this in rsview studio. I havent found anything in crimson, just wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something.

When you touch a momentary pushbutton object, the HMI writes a value of 1 to the corresponding PLC variable. When you take your finger off, the HMI writes a value of 0 to the corresponding PLC variable. In between, nothing happens.

There's no way that is associated with the pushbutton. As Steve said, the writes occur when the button is pressed and then when it is released, although the system will always ensure that the first write completes before the second is sent.

If you need to hold the bit for a fixed amount of time, you can do this by having the down action on the button set the bit, and then setting an ON trigger on the bit with a delay, with the trigger's action turning the bit off again.

If you need the button to hold for a minimum value but to hold for longer when the button is held beyond that, it's a bit more complex: Map the button to an internal tag, and set ON and OFF triggers to write the actual bit you want to control, applying a delay to the OFF trigger.

(I'll add this to the wish list.)

I called support and they havent called me back yet. I know a few people use them here.

Is there any way to increase the amount of time the momentary push button holds the bit?

you can set this in rsview studio. I havent found anything in crimson, just wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Do that in the PLC's program.

I've run across the need for this also. It happens when you have very slow communications, for whatever reason. Operators touch the button, but release it before the PLC "sees" the change.

Mike, there are other HMIs in the market able to do this, so maybe it's time for Red Lion to implement it...perhaps in Crimson 3.0!
icon7.gif

All noted. We provided the transactional writes to make sure the set and clear operations are implemented as distinct writes, but I guess that's not always enough if the comms is fast and the PLC scantime is long in comparison. Ken, not sure why slow comms would be an issue, unless you're turning off transactional writes.

I havent had this issue with panelview or quickpanel. rsview studio allows you to set the time the momentary button holds the bit high. I believe 250ms is default. thats pretty sufficient across the board.

here is the rungs of logic with the issue.

b3:1/3 is the bypass on momentary button and b3:1/4 is the bypass off momentary button in the red lion.

if I hit the button quick it doesnt do anything on the bypass on and on the bypass off it resets the timer back to 0 and keeps counting instead of disabling the bypass. If hold the buttons for a slight millisecond longer everything works right.

is it something with this logic? I normally dont use latch's so I am not 100% sure that is the best instruction for this situation. does anyone have a better idea? this guy uses this same logic with quickpanels all the time and has never had this issue.

redlion.jpg

I guess the other thing that surprised me is that red lion support never called me back. it seems easier to contact someone on here than on their support line.

I need the same feature to use the run aux signal for sealing in in a motor start/stop logic. I have to use a timer otherwise.

I had this problem with a G3 talking to a 5/04 on dh 485, the 5/04 had quite a lot of comms on DH+ also and i found the push button wasnt registering, I agree that C2 (or 3) could do with some sort of delayed number action here to keep the tag at the value for xx msecs, the panelviews have it as do other him's.

My solution which although may be frowned on was to use the user defined action of a button and use the sleep(XX) fuction.

You only need to use 50-200 mS for the sleep and it works very well depending on what you are doing.

See screen shot attached.

delayedbutton.jpg

I had this problem with a G3 talking to a 5/04 on dh 485, the 5/04 had quite a lot of comms on DH+ also and i found the push button wasnt registering, I agree that C2 (or 3) could do with some sort of delayed number action here to keep the tag at the value for xx msecs, the panelviews have it as do other him's.

My solution which although may be frowned on was to use the user defined action of a button and use the sleep(XX) fuction.

You only need to use 50-200 mS for the sleep and it works very well depending on what you are doing.

See screen shot attached.

the button tag, what is that? is that your actual tagname or does that just reference the actual button? I guess what I am asking is do I need to put my tagname in place "button"...

For slow comms like this, why not set the bit in the HMI, then reset the bit at the end of the PLC Scan?

I am sure this has been done many times, and been covered here before.

I am not sure if this would be different in a CLX though, I know that the IO is asyncronous, but is the comms overhead :confused: I