Communication between Direct Logic 260cpu and Branson weld controller

NACarnes

I have a project in which I need to call up presets in an ultrasonic weld controller using a basic copressor, in a Direct Logic PLC, with a 260 cpu. I am linked through rs-232. This is the only way to communicate with the controller, and I have never done anything like this before, using ascii or any other type of pc communication. Any one ever done this here? Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated. I know what the controller expects, but do not know how to get the PLC to communicate this through the coprocessor.:confused:

Please give EXACT part number for the Branson unit. A link to a manual for the Branson unit would help speed things along.

Last edited:
Sorry, The weld controller is an AmTech SBC controller, Model ATP-2040, and was specially built for us, to be able to use serial communication to call up presets, so I don't know that this would help. The coprocessor is a F2-CP128, built by FACTS Engineering, for Direct logics. To further clarify, I know what the controller expects, and the strigs I need to send to it. What I don't know is, how to send them strings using the cpu, PLC and coprocessor. I have never had to do this before, and was wondering if any one has, or communicated any type of serial device with a Direct logic PLC, and how they went about doing this? I have the PLC connected to the Controller, and I have attempted to start reading the Facts Eng manuals, but that is about as far as I have gotten. I am in the midst of several projects, and they want them all done tomorrow, so any help would be benaficial! Thanks in advance!

I have attempted to start reading the Facts Eng manuals,

When you do start reading pay special attention to the setup of string storage space (STRING), the setup of the desired communication port (SETPORT), if receiving strings from the unit thenthe setup of the format of the received strings (SETINPUT). (This informtion in in the Facts Extended BASIC manual)

If you will be transferring data back and for with the PLC CPU then I have found that the "S205" instructions are the easiest for me to understand. (This information is in the manual specifically on the F2-CP128)

It took me a bit of trial and error even after reading. And I was only doing receiving, not transmitting. Good luck.

In general after setting up the port using the SETPORT command at the beginning of your program you will get any variable information which needs to be sent (the presets) from the PLC CPU using the "S205" instructions. If the sent string is very simple you may be able to just use the PRINT command directed to the specific port.

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie, extremely Helpful! I am doing the opposite, only transmitting, to call up weld parameters and presets, MES will be doing the rest. Again, Thanks!