RSlinks

linklogix

Hello and thanks in advance

I have never used the Ethernet option to communicate to a plc. When I try to configure it in rslinks it never works. I get lost at a certain point. . I go to configure my driver, I choose the Ethernet devices option, click add new then click yes to the name. After that it takes me to the station mapping screen and I’m lost.

Can anyone help me please?
🤞🏻

At the station mapping, type in the IP address of the PLC you want to talk to. You have to know that before you setup the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx.

Tell us if you would, what PLC you are using and is it brand new, or is it in a existing system.

OG

Last edited:
Thanks,

Its a compact logix L35E. Its on an existing system. I am trying to upload the program. Its connected to a eithernet switch. I will find out the IP address of the PLC and try again.

Thanks

I have found out the IP address. When the staion mapping screen appears, does it matter where I put the IP address. Should it be in the 0 line or the 63 line?

Patch cord ( straight thru) if connected to a switch (hub) crossover if connected to the PLC directly.

Have you configured your computers IP address?

The big red yellow question mark (without a red X through it), means that your computer can see the device at that IP address, but it cannot identify it.

This usually is due to the hardware being newer than the software. Now, depending on what revision of RSLinx you are using, you might be able to solve this easily.

Try right-clicking on that device with the yellow question mark, and see if it gives you an option to "Download the EDS File". This EDS file will help RSLinx identify what that "thing" out there on the network is. If you are able to download it, it will have to "register" with RSLinx. I usually recommend closing RSLinx and then reopening it.

Now, it is possible that it won't give you this option, or that you try it and it doesn't help. If so, then the copy of RSLinx you are using is just too old.

Rockwell offers newer versions of RSLinx on their web site free for download. You have to register on the site, but it only takes a moment to do so. RSLinx is however, a LARGE download so you would want a real fast connection.

Now, if that big yellow question mark has a red X through it, then that means your computer is not seeing the device. Then we need to dig deeper into things like: IP addresses, cables, switches, and so on.

OG

For compactlogixs I use the AB-ETHIP driver, which doesn't ask for an IP address. The AB-ETH driver does - and I use that one for our older SLC 5/05s with ethernet. I know the ETHIP driver doesn't pick up my SLCs, but can the ETH driver pick up the newer logixs?

For compactlogixs I use the AB-ETHIP driver, which doesn't ask for an IP address. The AB-ETH driver does - and I use that one for our older SLC 5/05s with ethernet. I know the ETHIP driver doesn't pick up my SLCs, but can the ETH driver pick up the newer logixs?
Yes, it can.

The Ethernet Devices driver I find to be the "safe" choice. It works with everything I throw at it, old and new, and it doesn't have nearly the issues that the Ethernet/IP driver does.

I run into VPN issues and occasional issues on virtual machines with the Ethernet/IP that magically go away when I use the Ethernet Devices driver.

IP is easier to setup, but I much prefer the Devices option.

It would appear though that the problem the OP is encountering has nothing to do with the driver they are using.

OG

I Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. It turned out to be a problem with the way the IT department setup my laptop before I got it. I had to get permission to access the IP address.

Thanks Again