Need some program help for PICO

ccourter

I don't know the 1st thing about plc programming and have to install a PICO tomorrow.

It is a 1760-L-12BWB 24VDC.

When I1 gets 24v current (this input will last for 30 seconds) I need a 120 second delay before starting a motor that will then need to shut off after 35 seconds of run time.

I have been playing with PICO soft but am running out of time and can't seem to get it. I catch onto a lot of things fast but not this.

Thanks,
Chuck

You need 2 timers to do this. You should be able to simulate this working in the software without a physical PLC.

You can also find training information (with a European Feel) here:
http://trainingscenter.moeller.net/index.html

The Pico is the same device as the Moeller Easy Relay. In fact it is made by Moeller and private labeled by AB.

Can you post the program that you have so far?

"I don't know the 1st thing about plc programming and have to install a PICO tomorrow."

Ask your boss what he would do if his car mechanic or doctor said something similar.

"Gee I've never done brain surgery before, your son is my first patient, but I read the book and asked around last night, so we're all good for today."

"I've never even seen your type of car, but I guess I could reprogram the ECU."

I would suggest telling the people who expect this of you that it is unrealistic.

You are going to let them stress you out working like this.

This is a prime example of why I think people who do control work should be tested , educated, and maybe even licensed.

Employers should require such, and be held liable for anything that happens.

No liability, no acountability, no responsibility.

Good luck.

I am all for people learning and growing, but not on live production equipment with real people getting hurt when something goes wrong. If your not thinking something could go wrong, you really are not ready for this.

not sure if you have the interface software but this is what you will need by the way I do agree witgh what the others have said about working on something your not qualified for

From the sound of it you might need a license to ask questions here! Read the help files in the software and if you know anything about PLC's you should be able to figure it out.

I program SLC150,PLC5,SLC500,ControlLogix,automation direct, S5,S7 and TI. I have never programmed a Pico but I will on my next Job. I guess I will not ask any qoestions!

Kev77 we are always happy to help people. But modifying the reference above, would you take your car to your plumber for repairs?

Asking someone that has never programmed a plc before to install this PICO isn't fair to the OP.

** EDIT ** And it looks like mordred has given him a very good answer

OG

Last edited:
Kev77 part of our worry from our end is that helping ppl that are learning is one thing but to help those same ppl install a program on a machine that we know nothing about in regards to safety concerns is risky. The only reason I wrote this program in this case is that it was a simple problem that did not seem to have any major safety related concerns.

The fact that "ccourter" is able to explain what he is trying to do (more then I want to start a motor)shows he has some understanding what he is trying to do. If we are here to help we should get away from responses like:
"Gee I've never done brain surgery before, your son is my first patient, but I read the book and asked around last night, so we're all good for today".

I realize the saftey issue but pointing someone in the right direction and explaining the safety concerns is a good start. A pump and a few timers is a good excercise. He may know how to hard wire the set up with a few timers, but wants to use PLC. Software and hard wired set ups can present the same safety concerns.

I'll agree with you in this case however what the intention with the warnings given is to try to make sure the poster does not jump into too great of a challenge in future projects. We've seen lots of cases where ppl have asked for more advanced systems without any understanding of the task at hand. I believe the warning is intended to make sure his work management does not require him to take on too much. I know if I'm not careful the management I have would have greater expectations as they usually do not know whats involved. They sem to think if you can program this why not everything

From the sound of it you might need a license to ask questions here! Read the help files in the software and if you know anything about PLC's you should be able to figure it out.

I program SLC150,PLC5,SLC500,ControlLogix,automation direct, S5,S7 and TI. I have never programmed a Pico but I will on my next Job. I guess I will not ask any qoestions!

The OP said "I don't know the 1st thing about plc programming and have to install a PICO tomorrow."

He did not say, "I am familiar with PLC programming but I have never used a brand X and I would like help with this brand."

If you do not see the difference, ............well nevermind.

The fact that "ccourter" is able to explain what he is trying to do (more then I want to start a motor)shows he has some understanding what he is trying to do. If we are here to help we should get away from responses like:
"Gee I've never done brain surgery before, your son is my first patient, but I read the book and asked around last night, so we're all good for today".

I realize the saftey issue but pointing someone in the right direction and explaining the safety concerns is a good start. A pump and a few timers is a good excercise. He may know how to hard wire the set up with a few timers, but wants to use PLC. Software and hard wired set ups can present the same safety concerns.

"I don't know the 1st thing about plc programming and have to install a PICO tomorrow."

Not even the first thing...........how then do you learn the second and third thing?

Lets go straight to the fourth thing.

I think I will just start posting actual programs for these people and let them load it and go. What's the worst that could happen?

I don't have a license so I'm not responsible right?

Poor operators think the machines are safe for some reason. And when they get hurt , the investigation says it was "operator error" even while maintanance is rewiring and re-programming the machine in the back ground so "that wont happen again".

This saftey thing is overdone I guees, it does get in the way.

How does anyone argue for less caution?????????

That strikes me as hilarious.

The machine you drive to work has to meet a huge list of safety requirements and when you get to work it seems we feel safe enough to not require so much. As if traffic is so much more terrifying than a 1500 ton automatic press with no light curtain or a pressurized vessel with no relief valve and a patch work of repairs and no pressure testing. I've seen a long list of stuf that DID go wrong.

I guess i'll just keep it to myself , awareness seems to trouble people, we prefer to remain in bliss.

input one comes on and you start a "time on delay" with 120 seconds in the preset and a second "time on delay" with a 155 seconds in the preset.

-----]In1[---------------(x) set

-----]T2 [---------------(x) reset T2 timer done reset X

-----]X[----------------(T1)120s and--(T2)155s T1 and T2 in parallel

--- ]T1[ ----|-- ]T2[ ----(M1) T1 timer done and T2 Timer Timing M1 on

--- ]M1[--- -|

T2 done M1 off.

M1 latches M1 through T2

There ya go.

Last edited: