Qs9001

Is your company QS900 Certified or ISO 9001 Certified?

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • In the process now

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • What's this got to do with PLC's?

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was just wondering how many of you work for companies that are QS900 Certified.
Is this something that can be done in house?
Do you definitely need outside asistance?

I believe we are ISO 9000 something certified. I don't know much about it though. Only way it really effects me is that we put force monitoring units on our presses when we retrofit them to make sure we meet ISO requirements for quality or something. Sorry I can't offer much more info but I do believe we have external auditors come in I think.

From my understanding of the ISO 9000 certification all it really does is verify that you do things as you say you will. This can cover just about any process (pm's, scrap, documentation)

1. You have a verifiable written process.
2. You follow that process.
Nothing says it has to be a good process, just that you follow it.

IMO another way for someone to make money. (those who do the certification) ;)

gbradley said:
I was just wondering how many of you work for companies that are QS900 Certified.

First, I must say that I have done my degree at the "Haute Étude Commerciales" base on the very principle of Quality system in process an operation management. I was involved with Ford TQS and other manufacturers quality systems before we even mention the ISO standards. So I should qualify to give my honest opinion.

George, there is IMHO only two reasons one copmpany should even thinck of walking the path of those quality systems:

1. Because there clients requires them to get on the wagon.
2. Because there clients requires them to get on the wagon.

Of course, the litterature will tell you a very different story but like many other things, the real life actions do not always follow the written words.

To better the quality of a company, it must have it within itself. It must be a mission. Not a statement, a mission. From top to bottom, quality must be number one.

But from the momment your Mister Big says you go for it then you must go.

Jumping right into 9000 before having met 9002 is something big unless you already have a QS that will only need adjustments.

gbradley said:
Is this something that can be done in house?

NO... and YES!

As for Columbus egg, one can more easaly follow a discovered path.

All of the thing you will have to do to pass the final registrars inspection are that precise that you better hire someone who has done it before. You will save a lot of effort and time and money if you get a leader or at the very least a coach.

gbradley said:
Do you definitely need outside asistance?

Defenetly!

QS9000 is different from the ISO9000 certification. QS is the american automotive quality standard. You need to meet this to supply the Big 3 (at least). I am not sure if some of the foriegn companies that manufacture here require it.

http://www.aiag.org
or Here

I post this for not for George, but for those who don't know.

I do believe that the answer to your question would depend on the size of your organization, available time, etc. I think that it would start with a class and go from there. If your organization is large enough, you will need a full time employee dedicated to the task.

We are not certified, but we build a lot of equipment for automotive suppliers and get involved on the periphery.

Hi you all,

I use to work with a company that was QS9000 certified, ectualy I am a certified Internal auditor for QS9000. A QS9000 certification is needed if you want to supply to the automotive industry. It was set up by the big three (I believe GM, Chrysler and Ford). BUT
If you would like to deliver to an automotive customer directly you need a QS9000 certificate. On the other hand if you are a second tear the only thing that is required is an ISO 9000 certificate. Because you're not directly delivering to an automotive customer.
In the near future the QS9000 certificate is going to be replaced with a new norm namely TS-norm (before the end of 2004). It would be unwise to get certified for QS9000 in that sense.
If you should go for a TS-norm you definitely need outside assistance, you also need someone within your firm that is qualified and knows what TS is al about.
BUT the first and most important thing you need is full back up of your management. I would suggest to go first for ISO 9000 version 2000 and after this (if absolutely necessary) try the get the TS-norm.

Rudi

Hi all, When I worked in the PET bottle industry, we were required to establish and maintain ISO 9000, and QS9000, procdures to be able to supply Coke and Pepsi w/ bottles. We had a full time person doing the record-keeping / paper trail, and utilized the faculity at Western Kentucky Univ. here in B.G. to teach on an on-going process. It realy was a pain in the butt, but it also realy helped me out as plant engineer ...better record keeping, proof that PM's DO make a difference, proof that we had to pay close attention to all those small details that go into making up THE BIG PICTURE.
I am not so sure that I would like to go thru the set-up process again, but it was a learning experance, to say the least...make sure you get some good out side help when you start...make that before you start...check with your local univ. or college, chamber of comm., etc for some local people...and good lock...keep us posted as you move thru this challenge!

David
beerchug

What's this got to do with PLC's?

One of the possible answers to your poll is this.

Just wait 'till you get into the "analog card calibration" section in your quality manual. A few smiles.

Thanks for all of the replys.
Luckily for me QS 9000 is not going to be one of my personal responsibilities.

I think that eventually we will have to become certified (dragged kicking and screaming by our customers)
I'll probably be asked to help with the certification process.
I was just trying to get a feel for how prevelent it is out there.

Back
Top Bottom