A new kid on the block.

I just posted about this on the AD forum...I love the features of the hardware, but do not like the software at all. Maybe it is just me, and I am used to DS5. I am curious to hear any experiences when people buy a system and set it up. We have had some projects that seem to push the limits of the 260 scan time, and this may be a savior.

It certainly looks like you get a lot for your money.

Questions:
Is the programming 100% ladder only, or are there other languages ?
IEC601131-3 compliant ?
Really how fast is it ?
Online programming ?
Profibus, ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, or other bus standards ?
What protocol is used with the P3-RS remote slave module ?

Btw, I would wish they hadnt adopted the silly "PAC".
They get a minus for that !

I just posted about this on the AD forum...I love the features of the hardware, but do not like the software at all.

What about the software do you not like? How is it different?

I've never used AD, but I've written programs for a bunch of other PLC brands (Mostly AB though).

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've always assumed that AD's programming software is similar to Mitsubishi or Omron.

1) online programming?

from their overview:
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/press/productivity3000_intro.pdf

Run-time editing
Commissioning or troubleshooting a system can be
less time-consuming if you can make program edits
on the fly. Download edits to the CPU without
pausing I/O updates or stopping/restarting the
program. From melting rubber to making paper,
you can keep your process running, avoiding

downtime and product waste

with choice of
'run time transfer' or 'stop mode transfer'

2) other programming?
a search of the manual yields no hits on 'function block'.

These functions are implemented in some form or other:
Instruction Types Application Functions
Array Functions
Counters/Timers
Communications
Data Handling
Drum Sequencers
Math Functions
PID
Program Control
String Functions

System Functions

It just hit the street. See what it is a year from now . . .

Dan

What about the software do you not like? How is it different?

I've never used AD, but I've written programs for a bunch of other PLC brands (Mostly AB though).

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've always assumed that AD's programming software is similar to Mitsubishi or Omron.

I don't like it because it is very different from the software (DirectSoft) used for the DirectLogic line of PLCs. Something that would take me a few minutes to program on a DL would take me much longer due do the differences (timers are completely different, for example). Maybe it would just be the initial learning curve, but the software used for the PACs reminds me of the old Aromat software...

I have never worked with a Mitsubishi, and have only done a limited amount of programming with Omron PLCs, so I can't really help with a comparison.

I guess the thing that bothers me is that every company has their own software, so if you have an AB and an Omron PLC, you have to learn different programs. This is annoying, but something we all know and accept. Now even if you stick with AD for all your PLCs, you still could have to learn 3 different software packages (Click, DirectSoft, and now Productivity Suite).

I have been a huge fan of AD for a long time, but I can't understand why they are doing some of the things they are doing now.

I guess this is because they (AD) just buy different brands an sell them under their name?

I am wondering who is the actual maker of this one.

According to AD, it was a joint effort with AD, Koyo and Facts Engineering.

Has anybody else played with the software yet? I am curious what you guys (and gals) think...

This is an AutomationDirect product in conjunction with FACTS Engineering and Koyo.

Is the programming 100% ladder only, or are there other languages ?
At the initial release it is ladder only.

IEC601131-3 compliant ?
Not currently.

Really how fast is it ?
You have to make your own judgment here, but in my opinion it is faster than other PLC's that I have used. This is merely my personal opinion.

Online programming ?
I'm not sure how you mean this, but it is a bumpless download and your process should not see a pause.

Profibus, ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, or other bus standards ?
Not at the initial launch. We have many modules planned for the future, however I am not at liberty to discuss what they are at this time.

What protocol is used with the P3-RS remote slave module ?
It is a proprietary Ethernet protocol.

Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear what our customers have to say. Keep it coming!