Web Access From HMI Panel--Ideas Wanted

rwy34ils

Good day everyone,

We are looking at designing a project that will utilize an AB Compactlogix PLC with some type of HMI touch screen. The client wants to have this connect into the internet so that they can access and view the plant info remotely. Is there some type of HMI screen that could do this?

Thanks

I was told last week by my AB rep that the next release of FTView Studio / PV+ firmware (due imminently according to him) will have that capability.

I think you will find most HMI sellers have a unit to do what your asking.
We use a touch screen PC and use either Factory Talk View SE or ME. I would suggest ME, SE has lots of quirks. Either way you can run an activeX program from a button to open IE or anything else for that matter.
The price seem to be about the same for the PC and a ME station license or a Panel View Plus.

Best & cheapest I've seen are C-more panels from Automation Direct. Programming software is very inexpensive. Good symbol library. Easy to learn.

I'd go with any of the PC based HMI packages (Wonderware, Fix, Rockwell, etc). All you're talking about is remote access via the internet and that can be accomplished via some simple tools (VPN, logmein, RDP, netmeeting, pcanywhere, etc.) and requires no HMI software on the bosses computer at home.