Troubleshooting Remote Slave D4-RS Link light error

wildcatherder

I am using a D4-RS Remote Slave with a DL-405 as the master.
I cannot communicate with the Remote Slave. There is a Link light (amber) on the slave.

Indicator Lights on the Remote Slave are:
PWR - ON (green)
DIAG - OFF
RUN - OFF
I/O - OFF
PAR - OFF
LINK - ON (amber)

I have triple-checked the wiring of the custom-made cable per DL-405 user manual page 4-14.
I have triple-checked continuity from CPU terminal to CPU terminal for the three connections in the cable.
The cable is terminated with 100 ohm resistors across each end TX-to-RX.
The cable is only 25 feet long.
The Master is set to Station 0 with 19200 baud. Other settings for Port 3 are exactly per the example in the DL-405 user manual page 4-13.
The Remote Master is set to Station 1 with 19200 baud.
(Baud rate was reduced on both ends from 38400 as part of troubleshooting)

I do NOT get a Remote Slave 1 Comm Error at the Master - C701 is OFF.
I also do NOT get a Remote Slave Ready indication - C711 is OFF.

I'm beginning to suspect this is not a communications problem.

I have reinitialized all PLC memory and scratchpad and download the program again with no improvement.

The Setup RLL for the remote is in place in the DL-405 and is exactly like the example shown on 4-7 of the D4-RS user manual, with the exception of starting address for outputs being 40503 vice 40502 and only one Remote being used. Also, I have used SP0 as the first item on the rungs rather than the SP1 special relay shown on that page (I don't think one needs to re-initialize the remote on every scan).

Has anyone got ideas about troubleshooting this problem?

Last edited:
LINK light was indicating Remote I/O setup problem

I have an answer to my post that my be of help to others.

The Link light was indicating improper I/O mapping. (Although why the I/O light doesn't come on in such a case is beyond me).

I had been mapping remote I/O addresses and point counts as specified in the D4-REMIO-M manual for setting up a remote master.

However, when using a DL-405 as a remote master a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ADDRESS BLOCK IS USED. See the DL-405 User Manual page 4-15.

While this is necessary to allow the addition of D4-RM remote masters to the DL-405 when necessary to increase the number of remote slaves that can be controlled, it is confusing and an annotation in the D4-REMIO-M manual would have been helpful.

Thanks to technical support at AutomationDirect for reviewing my RLL for remote setup and providing the answer.