Ethernet setup

shoelesscraig

Ok, I'm working with a MicroLogix 1400 on set of new machines that go in next week. I'm a little fuzzy on how the ethernet setup works. I have been given the IP addresses to use from our plant IT guru. So when the machines go in, do I set the mode to "static" in the menu (shown on the incredibly small LCD screen on the front of the PLC)?? I also have 2 other options to choose from other than "static". One is "bootp" and the other I cannot remember at the moment, I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about. I do not really understand the differences between these modes and reading the AB literature on the ML1400 didn't help me at all. Can anyone offer any help?

Also, I notice that it also gives me a place to enter a subnet mask and gateway address, as well as primary and secondary DNS addresses. If I enter a random IP address, it enters a subnet and gateway address for me. Are these numbers the ones I should leave in the machine permanently, or are these numbers that I need to change based on our plant system??

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time dealing with ethernet, all the other PLCs in our plant are DH-485 setups.

I worked my way thru this to give me a basic understanding of Ethernet
http://www.industrialethernetu.com/
Then go to Curriculum.

Your addresses will need to be in the same subnet
the Micrologix 1400 will be at a default of I think 192.1.1.0

If IT are wise they have given you your own Network and not added you to there office network.
Say they have given you 192.100.15.XXX
Then your 1st Plc might use 192.100.15.1
your 2nd Plc might use 192.100.15.2
your 3rd Plc might use 192.100.15.3
your Laptop might be 192.100.15.254
I hope you see they all have to be in the same number groups for the first 3 and your choice for the last somewhere in between 0 and 255
Unless you are on the office network then IT I would think will want you to go to fixed numbers for the last number group also.

Your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

I would recommend fixed addresses, and the above subnet mask, and avoid Bootp until you are skilled at Ethernet,
I am not and never expect to be.

You have to setup your PLC according the pic.
(you need to chose IP in the same sub net with your PC Ethernet card setup)
In the pic the PLC IP 130.131.100.1 my PC is 130.131.100.100
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Then Configure RSLinx.(see pic)
For 1st test uses crossover cable between your PC to the PLC.
If you dont see the PLC on your RS Who.use ping to check your seting.
It should be very simple.

ML1400 ET.jpg ML1400 ET1.jpg

I would recommend fixed addresses, and the above subnet mask, and avoid Bootp until you are skilled at Ethernet,

Bootp can be enabled/disabled, and can be used to set the IP. This is how I have done it with Ethernet/IP IO, with no major issues.

Is quite easy to use, and can be turned of once the IP has been set.

Thank Gil47

AS someone said "better 1 picture then thousand words".

shoelesscraig

If you intend to use Online Edit See the attached file.

If you still have problem with the on line edits like duplicate rungs and crashes.
You need to replace the version you use.
It happen to me last week so it very fresh in my mind.
The fanny thing the new version have the same number like the one who did not work 8.10.00 (CPR 9).