Weird problem with AB 5/04

pskillen

Hi all, I've just bought a 2nd hand Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 (1747-L541, SER 7) for demos and training. Whenever I power it up, the FLT light remains on steady, and it alternates between the BATT light and all lights (except RUN). The processor is non-responsive over RS232 in this state. What's weird is it that if I factory reset it I just get the FLT light as you would expect after a reset, and I can connect and download programs to it. Once I disconnect the power though and then turn it on again, I get the same problem. I've checked the battery and seem to be getting 3.1v. I don't get any battery warnings when it's running properly after a reset. Any help would be appreciated, Cheers

Make sure memory card has been removed (if it has one).
And change power supplies if you have another.
Just a couple of WAG.

may also be picking up the power loss on I believe the S:18 status bit there is a clear major errors on restart bit you can set

Thanks for the replies everyone. So far I'm pretty sure that the problem has been caused by me starting it up with the J4 jumper in the "program" position (yes, that was stupid).

I'm pretty certain now that the problem is that I have erased (or corrupted) the firmware, as it no longer works even with factory resetting, etc.

I guess I'll have to try and get the firmware EEPROM off AB. Does anyone know where to get one if AB aren't feeling accommodating when I ring tomorrow?

This is the part #for the firmware upgrade chip

1747-OS401 SLC 5/04 Upgrade Kit – includes 5 upgrade labels

There are pleanty in stock i just ordered one a couple weeks back

Thanks for the replies everyone. So far I'm pretty sure that the problem has been caused by me starting it up with the J4 jumper in the "program" position (yes, that was stupid).

I'm pretty certain now that the problem is that I have erased (or corrupted) the firmware, as it no longer works even with factory resetting, etc.

I guess I'll have to try and get the firmware EEPROM off AB. Does anyone know where to get one if AB aren't feeling accommodating when I ring tomorrow?

Where abouts in the UK are you ?

Hi there,

not that you'll need it as you've had a better offer from Dave, but in case others are interested . . . .

AB in the UK would not supply the upgrade kit directly, at least, not to me, but did recently quote to upgrade the Processor for me - costs as shown :-
Price: £80.24
Delivery Cost: £25

Collection and Delivery Cost: £45

The Firmware Upgrade Kit is Part Number 1747-OS401 Series C
It is available in the UK from Routeco at £80.50 on two weeks delivery

regards
Dave

Oh, not local to me then.

I have a firmware upgrade kit if you want to borrow it...

And if you loose or damage you promise to replace !

I'm still trying to convince AB to give me one for free through our TechConnect contract. It's just for my training rig and I really don't want to shell out any more money on it :\

If I haven't had any joy from them by next week I may take you up on your offer

Cheers

Dave, if you're still willing to lend me your firmware eeprom I'd like to take you up on your offer. I wasn't able to convince AB to send us a free one :(. If you're still interested, give me a shout at [email protected] Cheers