programming simatic and ethernet

dodogo

Hi.
I have mashine with S7-400 and PC (Win98) with MPI interface and ethernet. it is in mashine. I working with NB with winXP. Is possible maping MPI interface from PC on my NB? I want use ethernet (possible WiFi). Somebody help me? THX.

Hi,

Does your S7-400 have an ethernet port?
If it has:
In Simatic Manager choose Options -> Set PG/PC interface and choose your netwerk adapter (TCP/IP -> your network adapter).
I have used a wifi router to connect to a S7-300 in the past, it makes it much easier to test the IO yourself when working on an installation.

If your S7-400 doesn't have an ethernet port and you want to connect using the MPI interface connected to the Win98 from your NB try looking at something like a vnc-solution.

Kind Regards

The answer is "maybe - but even if it is possible, dont waste your time trying".
The bad news is that with Win98, support and knowledge is vaning very fast.
I am guessing that with an old version of Simatic Net that supports Win98, and with the proper licenses for both ethernet and MPI/Profibus, you can setup routing between your laptop and the S7-400.
But it is non-trivial to do so, and will cost money for the licenses.
So I dont recommend you to try this.

In stead, get an online adapter for the laptop.
Siemens has a fairly good USB-MPI/DP adapter.
THIS ONE from Deltalogic is somewhat less expensive, but works ONLY with MPI at 187.5kpbs.
THIS ONE from Deltalogic ports from Ethernet to MPI/DP which may be the best choice overall.

THX people. I just do not want walk around machine with cables (more times shorter). I have USB/MPI inerface. Work with it. You know. I just want use what I have in dispozition.