RSView Studio Error Creating Runtime .mer file

Bob A.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using RSView Studio V3.2 for the first time in 4 years. When trying to create the runtime file, an error occurs "Cannot save database" and the operation fails.

I'm thinking that it is not properly seeing or getting the database from the PLC in the first place but I don't remember the steps to do that.

Anyone done this lately?

Thanks Much,

Bob A.

I get this error even now with FactoryTalk ME. It usually happens when I've left the tag editing/database windows running, or when the tag manager freezes and I have to end the task (it happens). In any case AJZ is correct in that a reboot is the only remedy.

If I remember to do nothing but edit tags while the editor is open, and to close the editor immediately when finished with it, I find that I avoid the problem.

I've tried a variety of things but nothing has changed. Reboots don't change anything and even the sample applications don't work. I did a repair from the CD without any change. It has been 4 years since I worked on this system and I'm thinking that I have lost something but cannot remember what it could be.

Right now, I'm reading the books because I can't remember what I did to get the PLC tag database to show up in RSView Studio for assignment to the screen elements. I remember that it took some effort to get it to work back when I did the initial work.

I though that one may be related to the other, but that may be wishful thinking.

Thanks for taking time to reply and please feel free to offer any other thoughts.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

Try running the Application Manager and backing up your application. Then do a restore and give the project a new name. This forces it to rebuild the tag database.

This has always cleared it up for me when a reboot won't.

OG

The PC is not new and I have not moved anything. I have not run Studio for 4 years and I may have turned something off along the way. I have a ton of Rockwell stuff on it and I deal with many different systems and generations of equipment.

I have set up a PLC in the development lab and I am trying to get a new version of the application to go in Studio. I was trying to accomplish what OG has just suggested.

I'm going to look for the application manager and give that a shot. It seems strange that no application file that I have tried will allow the database to be saved. It seems that Studio has lost the ability do handle a database. If I'm on a screen trying to assign a tag, when I click the tag button, it does nothing. Eventually, it times out. This happens on any application file that I have tried.

So it is not really a surprise that it cannot save the database when the runtime is created because it appears that it does not know where it is when the development is happening.

Here is a post from about a week ago that has some screen shots
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49712&highlight=rsview

What is the PLC you are talking to. ?
When you go to tags on RSView ME, can you see any tags or do, you only see them in the graphics screens with curly brackets, and pointing to your PLC name. ?

YOU say you are using RSView Studio V3.2, I know you may need to keep using that version because of the age of your Panel View, but 3.2 was superceeded by ver 4 which was alot easier to work with, and Studio and Panel View are now up to ver 5 .

This below does refer to RSView 32 but the same structure applies for RSView ME and has been used by other posters on RSView ME

This I have posted before.
Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

Look at you screen and find the error.
for #37, you have to look at your comms set up file, write them down on paper (exactly- letter for letter).
delete the comms file.
save file and reboot pc.
redo the comms setup and compile.
it should work.

there is another way to do it, but i have to dig into my archives.

you also might look on ab's tech web site.

regards,
james