Controllogix Controlnet Rsnetworx

wilsonzhu

Hi all,

One of my projects have two controllogix on the some controlnet network. Totally have 5 Racks I/O.One plc program cover all Racks I/O, and another only have two racks I/O. Does these 2 Racks I/O Cards' COMM format(and RPI) have to be same in both PLC program when using ControlNet RsNetworx software? Thanks a lot!

Two or more ControlLogix can easily share the same ControlNet network. The only things they must have in common are the Network Update Time (NUT) and the Unscheduled Maximum Node and Scheduled Maximum Node (Umax and Smax), as well as the A/B channel settings.

When two controllers share an I/O module, they must have identical RPI and Data Type values in the connection.

Multiple controllers can have Owner connections to Input modules, but they must have identical configurations. Multiple controllers cannot have Owner connections to Output modules.

The best way to "share" an I/O module is to have one controller be the Owner, and the other controller use a "Listen Only" connection. The RPI and Data Types must still be the same, but there is no danger of an Ownership conflict due to a configuration difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Actually my first PLC only need 3 racks, other 2 racks I/O is for another PLC, Can I delete unused 2 racks I/O(leave the second PLC still in, for there are Produced/consumed tag between two PLC) from my first PLC program. If do like this, two plc program doesn't share the I/O cards, will it make easy? Another question is that does it work while two PLC program shcedule seperately using some NUT, Umax and Smax. Thanks a lot.

Two or more ControlLogix can easily share the same ControlNet network. The only things they must have in common are the Network Update Time (NUT) and the Unscheduled Maximum Node and Scheduled Maximum Node (Umax and Smax), as well as the A/B channel settings.

When two controllers share an I/O module, they must have identical RPI and Data Type values in the connection.

Multiple controllers can have Owner connections to Input modules, but they must have identical configurations. Multiple controllers cannot have Owner connections to Output modules.

The best way to "share" an I/O module is to have one controller be the Owner, and the other controller use a "Listen Only" connection. The RPI and Data Types must still be the same, but there is no danger of an Ownership conflict due to a configuration difference.