cat 5 wireless point to point

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am looking for a low cost wirrless system to replace a cable and give me some freedom to move around. Does anybody have a recomendation? I would like 30~40' range I hope that is not asking to much.

I was in a plant today and had to make a 100' cable up so I could
see both a PLC5 on ethernet and a AutoMax on serial. I know that make some wireless serial adapter but I would also like Ethernet.

When I need a temporary wireless connection into a plant Ethernet system, I just use consumer-grade gear that is inexpensive and simple to set up.

I have a classic Linksys WRT54G wireless router, as well as a little D-Link "Travel Router".

The Linksys runs a third party firmware package called "Tomato" because it's a salvage unit that wouldn't run the original firmware anymore. If it fails, it's hitting the dustbin without further ado.

The D-Link unit is actually the only D-Link product I would recommend; I have had really bad luck with every other D-Link device I've used, but this works pretty well.

Generally when I use one of these devices I set up static IP addresses for the router and for my computer, and disable the DHCP capabilities of the device. That way when I connect to my automation network there's no surprises about what addresses are being used.

Ken don't tell me that you have to drive on of those Impalas that RA likes to push you too. You always have the cool tools so either you always move this out and that in or you have a Box van full of stuff.

Thanks guys I needed a few pointers

I do the same as Ken, picked up a cheap router configure it as an access point and plug it into the network and I'm set.

Very convenient!

Agreed... the only thing I found... is in a few plants... the noise coming from UV ovens tended to flood the wifi and zigbee bands... so if for some reason you loose network connectivity every now and again... look for noise!

You can have three: wireless, good, & cheap. As Ken Roach said above, I also use consumer grade gear and have not had any trouble. I have been hundreds of feet away from the wireless access point, online with Logix 500 with no issues, all day for weeks at a time. I am sure it would depend on the industrial facility you were in.

We have also used consumer grade wireless products for control (starting & stopping remote pumps) for years without issues.