DH+ Wiring Configuration

soop7667

Hi everyone...

I'm installing a DH+ network in our Concret Block Plant between four SLC 5/04's and four Panelview 1000's. - or - May choose to connect to a pre-existing DH+ as well. The main purpose of the network is to bring plant floor data into the office by utilizing RSLinx and DDE hotlinks in Excel. I was going to daisy chain each devise but I'm wondering if I could group certain nodes. Currently Each SLC is connected to a Panelview. The plan was to wire from the office PC to the first SLC, then to it's panelview...to the next SLC and so on.

(Office PC)---(SLC1)---(PV1)---(SLC2)---(PV2)---(SLC3)---(PV3)---

----(SLC4)---(PV4)---end

I was wondering if I could group nodes together by daisy chaining only the SLC's together.

(Office PC)---(SLC1)---(SLC2)---(SLC3)---(SLC4)---END of network
| | | |

| | | |
(PV1) (PV2) (PV3) (PV4)

On the subject of connecting to an existing DH+ as well...

We have a SLC 5/02 connected to a seperate Rack for Remote I/O using a 1747 SN module in each rack.

QUESTION:
Can we tie into that DH+ as well, or does Remote I/O prevent that?

ALSO*** I'd like to connect my office PC to the SLC 5/02 via A Serial cable. This would avert me the cost for a PKTX Card. Will pluging into the SLC here be feasible as well.

Thanks in advance.

SOOP!

Last edited:
DH+ is daisy chained, RIO is daisy chained, don't mix the two together on the same cable. If you want seperate groups, use two DH+ networks.

Hi

DH+ does not have to be daisy chained - It may be easier to used a trunkline throughout the plant, with drop lines to each device.

[attachment]
I don't know how you can put a slc 5/02 onto DH+ .... and to the best of my knowledge, a 5/02 has DH485 comms, not serial(RS232)comms.

I suppose that you could use a 1761-NET-AIC to connect your 5/02 to a PC, but I have had comms problems with this setup in the past.

snag-001.jpg

Last edited:
The SLC 5/02 rack has a 1747-SN Scanner module installed (This is the DH+ Interface)- and also a 1747-KE module which has a DF1 Port(My PC serial interface).
On the other end of the 'blue hose' there's another rack with a 1747-SN Module instead of a Processor (Slot 0). I think this is what clasifies this configuration of a DH+ as RIO or Remote I/O. Unfortunately I really DONT know cause I'm completely self
educated. Maybe someone can shed some more detail on this.

The question is: Can I tap into this DH+ for use as a normal DH+? Or does the configuration between these two racks make it some special RIO network?

DH+ <> RIO

They use the same type of cable (Belden 9463) but DH+ and Remote I/O are two different networks. You can't interconnect them.

The 1747-SN is a remote I/O scanner. The other chassis connected to it probably has a 1747-ASB in its slot 0.

grs

Terminology

The 1747-SN module is a REMOTE I/O scanner, not a DH+ scanner. That bit of blue hose is for communication with remote I/O, NOT other PLCs.

That "1747-SN" module that is in your remote rack instead of a processor (slot 0) is actually a 1747-ASB module. This module reads the cards in that rack, and reports the I/O remotely to the SLC 5/02 via the SN module.

So, no, you cannot use connect this network to your SLC 5/04 DH+.

As an alternative, can we replace the 5/02 with a 5/04 and run a seperate blue hose to that? Remember the main purpose of this is to have a serial port (DF1) connection within the office so I can interface to my PC without having to purchase a PKTX card.

You can get KTX card on Ebay less than $200 and all your problems will be solved, plus DH+ much faster.
VUFU

UPDATE - It's been two years and two months. I just just searching for dde stuff and came across this old post - MY how much you learn in a couple of years. You were right - Its a RIO not a DH+.

Anyhow I've dragged my feet so much on my little DH+ Project however -A couple of weeks ago I finally tied it together. I've got 3 SLC-5/04's and 2 PV1000's now On 1 DH+ Network instead of being all seperate. I used a spare rack with a spare 5/04 as my RS-232 link(They still wont get me an interface card) I had to learn the in's and out's of a DF1 Pass-thru config. the hard way - Did you know that if you enable DF1 Pass-thru on a SLC it bumps you offline and says you need to do a download? Did you know that the DL Wont go to the SLC you're hooked into? Did you also know that it sends the DL to the processor at the other end of the DH+ Cablle? Damn good thing I had an EEPROM cause after the DL I couldn't even get online with either of the two SLC's. Then I learned all about the KF-2 Driver - Made things a lot easier and less stressfuk - ANYHOW
I now have both of my Concrete Block Machines SLC's on the DH+ and I'm usign Excel to automatically log production and fault information. I've even got my PC "Talking" It triggers certain .wav files depending on which machine has which fault. Pretty neat stuff