RSView 4.0 ME, PLC5, PV+,RIO Can't get slider data from PV+ into Processor

ptine

I'm using RSVIEW ME 4.00 to program a PV+ which is communicating with a PLC5 via RIO. I've developed my application with 5 vertical sliders that I want to control 5 gates through the plc with. I just can't seem to be able to get the value of the slider into the processor. If I use the {[PLC]B2 4} syntax for the connection of the slider knob it becomes transparent(only it's outline remains). I have all the sliders working when I address them to tags that I've created (memory tags). How can I get the value of these vertical sliders or tags into my processor. Anyone?

Are the sliders representing a position of the gate? Or just gate open/close? If they are position sliders, then it looks like you might be using the wrong data type - are you setting up the "memory" tags as binary or integer types? You mention a "B2" making me think that you're dealing with a bit rather than an analog value. Just a thought....

The relationship between the sliders and the gates is that the gates will be controlled by the sliders value - 0 to 100%.I'm using the default setting(unsigned integer I believe) as my data type. To get the sliders to work I have been using a memory (data source) tag. I tried to use the RIO syntax e.g. {[PLC]B2 4} Where PLC is the PLC I'm trying to communicate with B2 is a Block Transfer- either read or write depending on how it's configured and 4 represents the 5 word in the BT. Every time I try to use the {[PLC]B2 4} RIO syntax the control knobs become just outlines of their configured shapes. If I create a memory type tag and connect my slider to it and also create a numeric display which is connected to that system tag everything works just fine. However, my dilemna is how to get that data out of my RsView application and into my PLC so that I can open and close the gates accordingly. I spent most of the day trying to come up with a work around but no success. I installed the latest patch rollup and now my objects with labels are now not showing the labels. Just a little bonus that I'll have to hammer away at tomorrow.

Just a thought, but does your Block Transfer address need a leading zero? i.e. [PLC]B02 4
Gil47 is right about the tag.

RIO is the least fun comm method to use as you have to actually download to a panelview in order to test it out :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Block Transfer doesn't need a 0. I've done several RIO on PV+ and that is the syntax that I have used. As far as the transparent with an outline condition goes I've never encountered this before so it kind of threw me for a loop. I need to spend some time on it today. Someone from Rockwell is supposed to call me today. I'll post as soon as I find something out. Until then if someone has any input that they would like to share I'd appreciate it.

The tagname needs to be fully qualified, and since there is a colon in it, needs to be preceded by a double colon:
::{[PLC]B3:4}

Also, B2: is not a valid data file in PLC 5 for user usage, it is S2:, and is the status file. (Unless you are talking 5/250's, but I don't remember them much)

I am quite certain that {[PLC]B2 4} is the correct syntax for RIO. I'm aware PLC is the shortcut to the PLC5. B2 refers to Block Transfer #2 and the 4 references the 5th word in the BT. ::{[PLC]B3:4} is the syntax that is used for ethernet and DH+ ect. I have set up my BTs and they are working properly, however, my real issue is that when I use the BT syntax in the slider's control knob it will not work when I test my display. If I create a HMI tag of the memory type and connect it to both my slider & numeric display everything works just fine. My real issue is getting the sliders value into the plc. The BT syntax works with all of my other objects but doesn't seem to work with my slider. Since I'm using the RIO protocol for this project I need to find a way to get the slider's value out of the PV+ and into the plc.

ptine said:
. . . my real issue is that when I use the BT syntax in the slider's control knob it will not work when I test my display. If I create a HMI tag of the memory type and connect it to both my slider & numeric display everything works just fine.

Are you trying to test this within Studio? You can't do that with RIO tags. You have to download to a real PV+.

If you are doing that then ignore this post...

Paul

It is all working now the syntax for RIO is definitely
{[PLC]B2 4}. I just became confused when the control knob "wire framed" It was not doing this before I registered a few dlls and installed the latest patch roll-up. Everything is working fine now. It will work if I create a tag of the device type with the forementioned syntax or I can just enter the {[PLC]B2 4} in the connection tab. Thanks for all the help guys.