PLC's for a career

PLCmaybe

Hey Everybody!

I'm very new here (registered yesterday) - wanted some very basic information

Have been involved in electronics/computers as a hobby - no formal training (yet) - i am currently in a health related field but am starting to see (after 14 years) that this may not be the career for me longterm (haha) - i am looking at retraining and would like some advice as to the best path for that

should i go into electronics first, then PLC's or can one just jump into PLC tech/programming

I guess the best info anyone could provide with your experience is, if you had to do it all over again, how would you go about it?????

thanks for any info you can provide!!

CAE

A background in electronics can be helpful in industrial automation, but it's not essential. I purposely said 'industrial automation' and not 'PLC programming'. There are very few jobs where all you do is PLC programming. A PLC is just one of many tools available to help you automate your process. You really need to be familiar with a lot more than just PLCs.

You need to know about controlling three phase motors, both with across-the-line starters and variable frequency drives. You need to know about controlling DC motors. You need to know about pneumatic controls, hydraulic controls, sensors of all types, vision systems, servo systems, HMIs, SCADA, and the list goes on and on.

Steve Bailey said:
You need to know about controlling three phase motors, both with across-the-line starters and variable frequency drives. You need to know about controlling DC motors. You need to know about pneumatic controls, hydraulic controls, sensors of all types, vision systems, servo systems, HMIs, SCADA, and the list goes on and on.

... the bulk of these topics that Steve mentioned either directly or indirectly involve electronics in some form or fashion. I would emphatically suggest that you gain a good understanding of electronics first, instead of just taking the leap in automation.

Steve said it well, you need to know a whole lot of stuff before you can really be an effective PLC programmer.

Where to get started? Well that is kind of a tough one. There are really only about three paths I can think of that will realistically work (others here can probably name more):

1) Go the vocational route and learn PLC's and controls as a trade skill from a school, then apply to various companies for employment. The school may well be able to help with placement. As I understand it, this route is becoming more popular these days but I have never met anyone personally who has done it. The biggest problem I see with this technique is experience; where does your hands-on experience come from? You won't be too successful without that.

2) Get on with a company as an electrical maintenance technician (for example) and do everything in your power to lean in the PLC programming direction. A lot of people on this site have learned that way. You will get a lot of good experience this way but the PLC programming side will likely come very slowly and only little at a time. Of course you first have to be able to sell yourself as a capable technician to go this route.

3) Get an Electrical Engineering degree or the like and come at it from the outside. Once you have that, you can get on with a company as a controls engineer or with a service company as a support engineer. Obviously you have to have the money, time, and desire to get a degree in order to go this route.

I personally took the third route by going to college directly out of High School. Back then, I had no idea that today I would be up to my neck in PLCs (of course the technology was in its infancy back then, too) but I sure am pleased about it now.

Steve

Last edited:
wow - good advice

thanks for the input

i will likely go the way of establishing a good foundation in electronics/electrical 'officially' - as i said, i have been involved at a hobby level and haven't electrocuted myself yet

a local college offers electronic technician, electromechanical technician and PLC technician and, after completing that i can get advanced standing at a university and finish a '4th year' and obtain my B.Sc. in Technology Management - i do want to do the first 3, may do the last to get the B.Sc.

thanks again for the help

CAE

my two bits

The best advice I ever got, and it applies well here...

"Get a degree!!"

I have an uncle who is a full-blown computer genius, completely self-taught. He sat on an assembly line for 15 years until, one day, he overheard somebody complaining about how there was no network in the plant. He stuck his nose in, rigged a simple RS-232 link between the two computers they were concerned about, and :

1. Saved the company three hours of typing daily
2. Impressed the guy -- who turned out to be the district manager for that branch of the company -- so much, he was promoted on the spot.

"Great story!" I said. "So what's wrong with how you did it?"

Rick grinned. "The fifteen years I spent rotting on an assembly because nobody thought I could know anything unless I had a degree."

Get the degree.

TM

I agree with what's been said already. I took a qualification in Electrical/Electronic engineering which covers most of the basic requirements which you will need. You will need to have an understanding of Instrumentation, Control systems etc.
You may need to then start off by getting into a manufacturing company as a technician. I recommend that you find a company who are involved in high speed manufacturing (eg. Canneries, printing) I personally worked for a company making diapers (600/minute), with complex high speed machinery you will get plenty of practise using PLC's and developing your troubleshooting skills.
Tip: Companies using small or slow running machinery will hardly need to touch their PLC's so you wont get the practice. Also companies with big slow processes eg. Breweries, are ok but you still won't be using PLC's every day. That's my experience.

You are probably looking at George Brown for the PLC course? If you are going to be a full time student I would suggest Electrical Engineering with a with a major in Controls at a big University like U of T. I would do it myself if I was starting over.......

yes Geo. Brown College

the course that GBC provides is by distance education and has a lower cost - realizing that usually you get what you pay for, is the university degree worth the hugely more expensive cost and much increased time required to do it?

i am restricted timewise (working fulltime at my current profession) and can't really afford to take 3 or 4 years to complete a fulltime training course/degree

would i be employable after graduation of the GBC course(s)? what i envision is getting a slightly above entry level job with the extra training and moving up from there after paying my dues. i guess that would more depend on the employer

i'm just frustrated that after 14 years in my current profession, i am making (i know, money's not everything) less than i see electronic techs making after 3-4 years. electronics & computers generally have been an interest/hobby for a good deal of my life and, even if making the SAME moola, i would be happier doing something of more interest to me.

All right, lets look at this with respect to your resume (since I have had the privilege of having to hire one or two technical types in my time, I think I am qualified to offer this up). For this perspective, lets assume I am trying to fill a position in a manufacturing facility of some kind:

When looking at nothing else, a 4-year degree in an electrical or electronics area will keep me looking at your resume a bit longer than any 2-year degree will. A specialized vocational degree in the specific field I need to fill will also hold my interest, but only if it is VERY specific to the position I need to fill.

But I would never look at the education alone. It would only become a selling point if the company has hiring restrictions or if several applicants have otherwise equal track records.

The most important information on your resume is experience, generally hands-on experience. I need to know that you can come in the door, get up and running quickly, and do it with as little training as possible. The education section of the resume does not speak to this need at all. You need to list specific things you know and how well you know them. Basically, why are you a better choice RIGHT NOW than the next guy?

Of course there are many different levels that may need to be filled from highly skilled / knowledgeable to entry level. So I will also be looking from that perspective. My interest will be in people whose resumes are truly directed at the appropriate skill level.

In the end, I am going to interview people who present themselves as being capable. Education alone doesn't do that, the rest of the resume does. So, IMHO, it really doesn't matter (too much) which institution you graduated from, just that you did and can prove it.

Hope that offers something of value.

Steve

I agree that education is important, but not all PLC jobs require a 4 year degree. A two year degree might help you get your foot in the door, but you will usually start out at a lower pay scale than someone with a four year degree.

What I have seen many people do is get the two year degree and start work. Their employers paid for the schooling to continue to get their four year degree.

yup

that was my plan - get in the door - yes, lower pay - take it from there - likely very employer-dependent - but after a few years working with a company, you would be more marketable (providing a good job was done)

As many have mentioned you need a wide range of equipment and process knowledge. I started as an electricians apprentice, while I attended Purdue University, nights for Elect. Engr. Technolgy. I gained EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION. This route enabled me to draw on both in either setting. That was 32 years ago when it began and has not yet stopped. You need to get both, it's hard at times but generally rewarding.