Pushbuttons 30mm Vs 22mm

The Plc Kid

I am trying to add pushbuttons to my plant electrical standard and we have 22mm and 30mm.

They must be ab so i wanted to get opinions on the best series and which is better 22 or 30 mm. This is a plastics extrusion company.

It really depends on your application. I like to use the AB 800F series for 22mm in NEMA 4X apps, but if it's a frequently used operator panel I like 30mm, either AB or CH. I have seen operators put their finger thru a 30mm start button and dislodge the contact on the back of the switch, so even these aren't sturdy enough in some cases.

I personally prefer 22 mm buttons with metal bezels: sturdy enough and look nice.

We use IDEC HW series but the choices are much greater, of course.

In 25 years I have never replaced a 30 mm AB 800 series PB for mechanical failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that its rare. I prefer the 800H series for appearance, I think they look a little better than the 800T.

I can't say the same for IEC buttons. Not even close, not even for the AB 22.5mm PBs.

Needless to say, I spec A-B 800H whenever the choice is left up to me..

Last edited:
My experience is the same as Alaric's. The 30mm (NEMA) size buttons are much more durable and better.

The advantage of the 22mm are obviously cost and size, but the trade-off is the quality (my opinion). Most of my work has been in heavier industry such as automotive, foundries, and the like.....but wait, we don't have much of that here in the USA anymore.

Oh well, that's a different subject.

I agree with Alaric. I have seen cases where the push button station was full to the top with coolant and the only reason the 30 mm switch stopped working is because a wire rotted off. In industrial applications the 22 mm just don't hold up to the production workers abuse.

Another vote with Alaric. In an Industrial environment, the typical 30 mm button tends to stand up to the environment longer. They are also much more user-friendly if the operator wears work-gloves.

Steve