Learning Delta V, coming from PLCs

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering how difficult it would be to learn Delta V systems coming from a PLC background?

I've worked primarily with PLC 5 and CLX platforms, and RSView and Proficy iFix. Ive also had a bit of experience using GE PACs.

I'm very fast learner and pick up programming easily, I know Delta V is for DCS as opposed to starting from scratch with a PLC (I do a lot of development work in the biopharma industry).

Just trying to get a feel for how it would be if I tried to get my hands on some Delta V work.

Thanks for the link, I've already visted a few like Emerson's. I can't help but feel like the info provided by Emerson always had a sales pitch slant to it, so I'm trying to find some unbiased opinions.

I guess another question I'll tack on to my first post:

How much custom functionality can you get with Delta V. Sure a Delta V system comes pre packaged with thing that you would otherwise have to code yourself on the PLC / HMI system, but if a customer wants a moderately / highly customized system is Delta V still a viable choice?

Hmm, I see I've strayed a bit from my original question.

DeltaV uses there own version of IFix for the HMI, so you have that part mostly down already.

You've already used similar systems, ContolLogix with RSView.

And you've worked in the pharma industry, so yes, you should be able to pick it up quickly.

The only major addition would be the batch if you haven't done that yet. Its all on the easydeltav site. The booksonline is actually the latest help file for the DCS.

They have some expensive training that is good in Austin, TX.

Thanks, I'll check out the help files.

I've read the RSBatch & PhaseManager documentation but actually never used it. Everything I've done has been custom batch code via SFCs and relay, but for the most part follows S88.

FYI - RSBatch started life with the source code for OpenBatch (from PID who then became Sequentia). Exactly the same applies to DeltaV batch and several other batch products. How much they have diverged I am not sure, my impression is that the core is the same.