Reformatting HDD with RSView 32 Installed!

ckchew666

Hi,

I'll get a new hdd for one of the computer running RSView32. Due to the old hdd is too small, the RSView32 sometimes have no space at all to load up it project and run, the hdd is FULL.

By getting a new 40Gigabytes hdd, it should be working fine. But I've doubts on how to transfer the RSView32 project into the new hdd after I installed RSView32 Runtime on it.

Anyone can help me? Thanks.

Regards,
CK Chew

You need to move three things from your old HDD to the new one:

1. The RSView32 Runtime software
2. The RSView32 Project Files
3. The RSView32 Activation

You probably already know how to use keydisks to move activation files onto and off of floppy disks, so that's no big deal. Just be sure that all the RSI applications and services are stopped (including the RSLinx Service) before you use that EVMOVE32 utility.

The Runtime software you'll install from CD's, so that's easy.

The Project Files can be manually moved from PC to PC, but there's a better way: the Project Transport Wizard. It's provided with RSView32 and usually found in the Start Menu -> Rockwell Software -> RSView32 Tools. The Project Transport wizard will zip up all of your files and directories and then it can be used in reverse to put them into the correct places on the new hard drive.

Good luck !

There may be another way

In the past I have installed numerous hard drives for people that didnt want ANYTHING different from the OLD.

I used a program called DRIVE COPY <<click on that, to MAKE the NEW HDD the same as the OLD. This program will completely copy ALL the files from the OLD HDD to a NEW HDD and everything work as it did before. The OLD HDD will stay the same as it was..nothing is lost.

For $50 its worth the time if it will save hours of reinstalling software AND still have a backup drive with everything on it.

Ken: After zip the proj files, how to transfer it into the new hdd? WIll a floppy enough space? Then need to unzip using the same program bundled with RSView into the same directory as before?

Ron makes an excellent point about using an HDD duplicator. I guess I just assumed that if the old machine was crammed with other stuff that you would be going with a new OS and less other software.

If you need everything on your current hard drive, by all means use a duplicator and save yourself the trouble.

A floppy drive is probably not large enough to transport the RSView32 project file. See if you can use something else, like a ZIP disk, a network drive, a USB disk, a flash card.... even just installing both hard drives and transferring from one to the other using Windows Explorer.

Since it was an HDD replacement I didnt think OS was going to change

Even if want new win version the old can be upgraded.

Re: There may be another way

rsdoran said:
In the past I have installed numerous hard drives for people that didnt want ANYTHING different from the OLD.

I used a program called DRIVE COPY <<click on that, to MAKE the NEW HDD the same as the OLD. This program will completely copy ALL the files from the OLD HDD to a NEW HDD and everything work as it did before. The OLD HDD will stay the same as it was..nothing is lost.

For $50 its worth the time if it will save hours of reinstalling software AND still have a backup drive with everything on it.

Sounds like it copy the activation key as well? :)

Regards,
CK Chew

I do not know after the zipping process, where should I find back the file to transfer from hdd to hdd? and how to unzip? This procedure comes with any manual (.pdf)? Thanks.

Regards,
CK Chew

ckchew666:
Sounds like it copy the activation key as well?

If the HDDs are different, then I dont believe the copy protection files will work on the new HDD, if they are moved with an imaging program. Use the "move" utility to be sure.

If you haven't found an answer to complete data transfer from an old HDD to new, review Symantic's Ghost. Bit for bit transfer from one HDD to another and retain old HDD as backup.

Nortons Ghost or Drive Copy do the same thing overall...NEVER doubt that software protection wont be copied ...it will. YOU are duplicating a drive, not trying to copy, there is a difference.

These programs will copy EVERYTHING from old drive to new drive and the new drive will boot exactly as old drive did. You will still have the old drive available, nothing will change on it.

rsdoran said:
Nortons Ghost or Drive Copy do the same thing overall...NEVER doubt that software protection wont be copied ...it will. YOU are duplicating a drive, not trying to copy, there is a difference.

These programs will copy EVERYTHING from old drive to new drive and the new drive will boot exactly as old drive did. You will still have the old drive available, nothing will change on it.

Woo...like that means I can use 2 drives or 2 computer alredy since the activation key will be duplicated into the new hdd. Kind of violating the laws of Rockwell or something like that is it?

There are no laws, just forms of protecting software from being copied....easily. The COPY command is strictly a software function, there are ways to prevent a COPY from being done by software. The programs mentioned are also software BUT they dont actually COPY like WINDOWS does, they actually setup the drive to MATCH the old drive then "TAKE A PICTURE" of the existing HDD and place it on the NEW HDD. This is a simplistic overview but maybe it helps to understand.

TO be SECURE in this transaction with AB software it may be BETTER if you HAVE the activation on the MASTER DISK...either by enabling it on the AB website OR moving it from the existing HDD.

Overall if its possible to use either of these programs then it MAY save time MOVING existing programs/files to a new HDD...it also offers that no files will be lost. You still have same LOOK and files you always had BUT NOW have more space to work with.

I have done the same thing except to create a backup PC for SCADA, it coppied everything including keys didn't have to change anything even the network settings booted right up on test.I used Paragon Disk manager with boot disk. A bit pricy but has a lot of other features that most disk copy software does not. Only had to update a couple of MB drivers. Different sound card etc. OS was win 2000 Pro