installation problems

sunnyvaleplc

I am new to PLCs and so please pardon my ignorance.
I am trying to configure a compactlogix system. The controller is L32E.I have the controller, the power supply and the end cap attached. At this time I do not have any I/O modules attached to the controller. As soon, as I apply AC power to the power supply, the controller starts up but the OK led on the controller is flashing ( Amber in color).

I read in the manual, and it says the controller needs firmware update.

I configured the serial drivers successfully, and I am trying to update the firmware. The problem is that the "UPDATE FIRMWARE" button is grayed out, and I can't use it.

What am I doing wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

sunnyvaleplc

As a side note - it would be less risky to achieve communication using the Ethernet port. If you do upgrade the firmware it will take much shorter time thue being less subject to problems.