FNG: cyling output with timer, need help

Tsilatipac

I am brand new to plcs, I have grey hair and the neuro connections don't seem to form as quickly as they once did. I am trying to create my first program and the tutorials aren't helping much (they probably assume you have some working knowledge)

I am using PicoSoft V6.22 Pro.
I have a 1760-DUB+LDF

Here are my user requirements:
1. I want to create a start/stop button using the screen buttons.
2. I want to be able to set two timers using the screen (seconds). T1 and T2. T1 is how long inputs 1-4 will be ON. T2 is time between pulses.
3. I want to count the number of pulses and have a separate reset button for the counter.

Basically, when start is pressed inputs 1-4 open for duration T1 and then close. They remain closed for duration T2 and the cycle repeats. I want to use this to stress test valves for 10,000s of cycles.

The program gets a bit more complex but his has some minimum functionality that will let me play with it and learn. I built the test stand but my PLC guy is busy on other projects and dumped me. Eventually I will need to trigger 8 outputs and be able to trigger pulses off of time, pressure, or temperature.

Anybody feel like taking pity on a charity case? I am guessing that the basic functionality wouldn't take very long for an experienced programmer to write. I know I shouldn't expect people to do my work so barring a charity case, are there better examples for the pico controller for the brand spanking new guys?

I have grey hair and the neuro connections don't seem to form as quickly

You must be standing in the same line as I am. By the way, welcome to the forum.

I am using PicoSoft V6.22 Pro.
I have a 1760-DUB+LDF

I do not know anything about the pico controller (I'm going to presume it's a smart relay) with an LCD screen.

Here are my user requirements:
1. I want to create a start/stop button using the screen buttons.
2. I want to be able to set two timers using the screen (seconds). T1 and T2. T1 is how long inputs 1-4 will be ON. T2 is time between pulses.
3. I want to count the number of pulses and have a separate reset button for the counter.

Does this unit have a touch screen? Or do you mean one of the built in buttons on the front.

The best way to tackle this problem / assignment is to start with what you labeled as #1 (I want to create a start/stop button using the screen buttons.)

After you have this working, go to #2 (T1 and T2. T1 is how long inputs 1-4 will be ON. T2 is time between pulses.) I am also going to presume that you mean outputs instead of inputs. After you get this working then get the screen to change the values of the timers.

Then go to #3.(I want to count the number of pulses and have a separate reset button for the counter.)

Finally after you have that working make the outputs follow the timers.

Question: On your outputs, are they relay contacts or transistor or triac? If they are relay contacts then you may be pushing their life after 500,000 cycles.

You must be standing in the same line as I am. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I'm in the slow line for the fast train to nowhere. I sure hope you're not in my line. :confused:

I do not know anything about the pico controller (I'm going to presume it's a smart relay) with an LCD screen.Does this unit have a touch screen? Or do you mean one of the built in buttons on the front.

I understand that the PICO is basically a rebranded Moeller Easy relay. It has an LCD with 9 buttons.

The best way to tackle this problem / assignment is to start with what you labeled as #1 (I want to create a start/stop button using the screen buttons.)

After you have this working, go to #2 (T1 and T2. T1 is how long inputs 1-4 will be ON. T2 is time between pulses.) I am also going to presume that you mean outputs instead of inputs. After you get this working then get the screen to change the values of the timers.

Then go to #3.(I want to count the number of pulses and have a separate reset button for the counter.)

Finally after you have that working make the outputs follow the timers.

Question: On your outputs, are they relay contacts or transistor or triac? If they are relay contacts then you may be pushing their life after 500,000 cycles.

That is the basic approach I am trying to take. You are also correct, outputs are being switched. These are relay contacts, they will have limited life but this is just a proof of concept. For the studies we have planned, I won't exceed 100,000 cycles.

I've been to the Rockwell site. I am using the latest pro software. I found a page that was supposed to have sample code but when I try to open it I get an error message that says it contains an unsupported device. I'm not a fan of the site having spent many hours looking around and not finding much of anything of value.

A good tutorial would go a long way to learning this stuff. It is amazing to me that I cannot find simple tutorials that explain the various objects, here is a timer, and how it works. Here is a counter and how it works, etc.

I have spent the entire day trying to figure out how to use two timers to toggle a relay in a repeating cycle. three seconds on, three seconds off, three seconds on...etc. No inputs, just repeat forever in simulation mode. No luck.

Once I figure that out, the only examples I have for start/stop buttons are momentary contacts. The only button on the GFX is latching type--can't figure out how I'm going to use that either.

So far I can use the button to open the output and then close it. One cycle. Wow...8 hours for that. I'd make a killing in this business.

Using PicoSoft 6.22 (not PicoSoft Pro). Here is something to play with. It is untested so "Use at your own Risk". You may need to change how you want the inputs to act. I also could not program the Graphics display because PicoSoft Pro is used for that.

Here is a second try with some counters added. It is untested so "Use at your own Risk".

With respect to the title
"FNG: cyling output with timer, need help"

Does the acronym FNG refer to a command or
is it a military term applied to new arrivals.

I'm losing track of all the abbreviations and acronyms.

Dan Bentler

Thanks for the help! I haven't looked at the second program yet but the first one taught me a lot. I pretty much have a workable solution now except that my counter reset isn't working.

Once I have that I should be able to get more familiar with the visualization tools and add additional functionality.

It confuses me that I don't always have the same options for things like coil functions. In a lot of examples I'll see "trigger" but my options are, "Contactor, Impulse Relay, Set, Reset, Negated contactor, Rising edge, Falling edge, etc."

Thanks again for all of the help!

FNG: This is a rather inappropriate abbreviation that I regret using in the subject line. F----- New Guy.

Last edited:
well the literal translation would be ***ually active, neophyte or newcomer, and a piece of rigging or one homo sapiens of male gender.
Sure is lot of words for three letters.

Dan Bentler

.... I pretty much have a workable solution now except that my counter reset isn't working....
The 1760-2.zip has some counters and how the reset is handled. Click on the parameters tab if your version of the software has it.

Last edited:
Info for anyone that needs this and NO I dont work for AB. I too am old and grey and retired.
Link to product page:
http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/pico/picosoft.html
Link to software download (not the PRO version, maybe it will help):
http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/pico/get/PicoSoft_V6.22.zip

For anybody interested, the Moeller EasySoft Pro Demo is available FREE.
It is OffLine use only but is a great learning tool and it seems to be compatible with the PicoSoft Pro.
Link:
ftp://ftp.moeller.net/EASY/EASY-SOFT_DEMO/es-v630demo.exe