"Rockwell Software Hardware Maintenance Tool"

Plastic

I was defragging, and looking around under the hood of my company laptop. When I went to Contol Panel\Add Remove Programs, if I SORT by SIZE then

"Rockwell Software Hardware Maintenance Tool" shows up as the BIGGEST HOG at 992mb.

What is it?
Can I remove it?

We use:
RSLogix 5000
RSLogix 500
RSLogix 5
RSLinx
RSView ME
RS Networkx
Panelbuilder
and blah, blah, blah

But if I press Start\Programs\Rockwell Software\... I can't even find "Hardware Maintenance tool

If you have a TECH Connect contract then see KB I.D 47962. I don't so can't look at it, sorry.

47962.jpg

Last edited:
The short answer for those without a TECH Connect contract is that it is the collection of EDS files stored on your computer. If you remove it, RSLinx and RSNetworx will not be able to recognize the devices they connect to. You can remove the unused files using the Change/Remove option of the Add/Remove Window.

When you install RSLinx you can choose different products that you want to install support (EDS files) for. Sometimes people will install everything they see. The Drives products take a lot of space and can be pared down probably by reinstalling RSLinx. But realistically, don't mess with what ain't broken.

So, don't do it!

OG