Power Monitor 3000 ethernet issues

zankorel

I am having problems with a number of Powermonitor 3000's we have on our site. We have installed around 35 this year, and have recently discovered that 5 of them have had their ethernet frozen.
The meter works fine using the local display, but i cannot get the ethernet working (without a meter restart at least - and i dont want to have to restart them every time there is a problem).

I tried restarting the switch, to no avail. The 5 that failed are in different parts of the plant, so there is no obvious common point of failure.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Mickey, thanks for the link.

Yes I had read that and had confirmed that the Powermeter is running the latest 3.45 general firmware that contains the 2.22 Ethernet firmware.

I did just notice that there is a default IP address of 192.168.1.x, so i am going to go out and see if it has reverted to that for some reason.

I'm not sure if these are on a private network, but I had sever issues with our IT group at my last job and these things. If you are using their switches and hubs, the first place I would start when these devices stop communicating is with them. Occasionaly we did have a couple that would just freeze up and require the good old AB reset, but if just the comms is down, I believe they cache data for X period of time, and upload that data to the server again when comms are reestablished.

I am still having problems with these Power Monitor 3000 ethernet units. For a while we thought we had fixed it by forcing the switches to communicate with full duplex 100Mbit, but it is still happening. I am getting one failure a week now.

Has anyone had any similar issues with these PM3000's?

Not sure if any of this helps but we have 15 of these installed (this was done before i started with the company).
The data is collected by linx to an RSV32 scada via the powermnitor software, when I took over I was asked to move the ip's to 10.10.xx.xx by the IT dept, also there are a number of SLC505's & other plc's that only work on 10base so all changed, before we did have occasional "lockups" on certain PM's but since this change they have not locked up.

Our plant has 28 PM3000's that are on an "automation" dedicated set of IP addresses, along with our processors and MMI's. They do, however share the same fiber optic cables and ethernet switches as our "plant" network. I have had occasional issues with the PM's freezing (random) and requiring a hard reset. However in the last week all but 8 of the 28 meters will not communicate. I can power down the meters, and they will go online, but only stay active for approx. 5 minutes. The same 8 seem to have no trouble. Our system has been in use for 8-10 years, and I have all series b meters, but the firmwares are different. There is no apparent pattern to the ones that work, they have different revisions of firmware, are on different network switches, etc. This is about to drive me nuts, if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Mike

edit: I have tried upgrading to the latest firmware on a couple meters, and it didnt make a difference.

Last edited: