help me argue to semi automate a machine

joeparrish

I work for a blow molding facilty we are haveing a machine built. They want to make a machine that just has hand clamps and uses a hand drill.

I want to make it with auto cylinders and drills just where a operator puts the part in and hits cycle start.

There arguement is it is for a right hand drive car and will not run offten.

I am argueing about safety is really the only good arguement I can think of

What about product uniformity? Would that be improved by automation?

Also, ergonomics would be better (which I guess falls under safety).

And, I would think that automation would improve productivity.

All I can think of right now.

What about product uniformity? Would that be improved by automation?

Also, ergonomics would be better (which I guess falls under safety).

And, I would think that automation would improve productivity.

All I can think of right now.

for uniformity they said it will have part locators and drill guides.

for the productivity it is a right hand drive part maby 2000 a run 2 times a year low low numbers I dont think they care I just see someone drilling there hand.

At 2000 pieces a year, it's hard to argue from the productivity point of view. And if they don't care about safety (assuming there really is a safety concern; I haven't seen the setup), it's hard to argue that too.

I would take a more blunt approach. I would say, "I know we don't need a machine for this. Probably no one will get hurt either. But, I'm here anyway, I know how to automate it, and I want to do it. I'll just work on it whenever I have time, and I might even learn something that can be used somewhere else."

If you are willing to ask questions during the evenings at places like this site, that would be worth mentioning too. And if they are willing to use a hand drill, you could probably use second hand parts as well.

Personally, if I was in charge of a company, I would encourage small projects like this for my techs.

Kinda hard to answer since I do not know
the shape of the part
what material it is made out of
how many holes (all same size?)
tolerance of finished product

I think the first question on this is how long does it take to drill one part by hand then dig out crystal ball and get comparable value for how long it would take your creation to do the job. Find a comparable process that is automated and time it maybe??

Other points
Bushings are often used to guide drills - bushings wear
Hole quality will depend on operator ie how much feed pressure they use how often they change drill bits etc etc
Clamps wear allowing part to move
Will operators clean fixture / jig of shavings and how often
Setup time get part insert set clamps
do job time pick up drill change bit drill holes etc etc
Granted you will only do 2000 annually - what if business picks up
AND for how many years will this setup be needed.
Operator training when you set up a run and gathering all the stuff (now where did that darn clamp go and where do we find another?
Safety and ergonomic risk elimination

If the design and build it guys and the operators design and build this together (team = gag puke) then it should work for best. I am convinced machinery built in house is the best way to go.

With a little more thought maybe just maybe this gizmo could produce more than just one part
OR a generation II version could do it
- so even if it was just a pilot and got scrapped but enabled Gen II (in multiple versions ??) it may be worth the money.

Lessee
We dont have time to do it
ANSWER outsource it - you have more chefs in the stew - then it takes five permutations to get it right. Good for the economy and job security.

you guys are only maintenance and know nothing about design
ANSWER we may know nothing about design but we sure learned how NOT to design based on the P-poor designs of stuff we have to fix and cobble all the time.

Oh yeah make sure it is on low bid so you get a contractor who does not care about it after it leaves the shop so does not do a quality job in the first place. We need another fix it and cobble it every week for the job security.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Let's see; low Cost, higher Safety, and Fun.
Cost; Used parts, xs parts, inexpensive labor, no OEM training.
Safety; How much does one MSD (Muscular Skelatal Disorder)or laceration cost? meds, fines, man hours, etc.
Fun; These in house projects are always fun and lead to a better understanding of tool design and operations. So when you do have to go out of house for one you are better buyers.
Sounds like a no brainer, especially if you guys are motivated.

I understand the frustration of wanting to improve equipment with automation to make it better and safer. We have a machine that works on old technology (rows and rows of contactors, timers and counters) that is hard to troubleshoot in which a PLC would eliminate so many headaches when it goes down. For the most part we hardly ever have a lot of problems with it. I feel it would be so much better to convert to a PLC in which I could write the program. Because we do not run the machine a lot, our maintenance manager felt the time and money to change it over would not be a good investment for the results we would get out of it. I am sure your company is like most companies that want a return on their investments; it is only good business if we like it or not. If you do feel strong about a safety issue(s), you should talk with your safety department to get them involved to prevent potential accidents from occurring. I am not sure what your process is and how long it takes to do 2000 parts each year, but I am sure it is a slow run that they do not want to spend too much time and money on. If you can think in terms of investments (time and money) and returns, this will help you think like a company does no matter if you agree or disagree. To get something changed, one has to show the people in charge how much money they could save or how much more money they could make and or the potential danger employees are in if the changes do not take place.:nodi:

Maintenance Guy said two important things
1. To get something changed, one has to show the people in charge how much money they could save or how much more money they could make

2. the potential danger employees are in if the changes do not take place.

After many years in safety and then going back to maintenance I fully agree with #1 but only if they are smart.

As for #2 I am now pretty jaded and discouraged.

Dan Bentler