slc 500 question

vf816

Hi new here and to programing.My question is what is the difference between user input/outputs and bit input/outputs.trying to do my first program and could not find this info in the help area.

Thanks

Well, those terms don't exist anywhere in the SLC 500.

However if you are referring to addresses that start with I: or O: then those are bits or words tied to a specific input or output module. A physical module that you plug into the chassis.

Everything else is considered internal (or memory) only with no physical connection to the real world. So an address that starts with B3, T4, C5, R6, N7, F8 or anything else like that is internal, whether they are bits or words.

OG

When i try to write a program in the top portion there is a user tab with inputs and outputs net to that ther is a bit tab with inputs and outputs.

What you are referring to are types of logic instructions.

• The User tab is a customizable field where you can add frequently used instructions
  • The Bit tab contains instructions that deal with a single bit of memory. For example, if the bit is on or if the bit is on, or turn the bit on. This tab will likely contain most of the instructions you will use as you get started.
  • The Input/Output tab contains a variety of instructions dealing with getting data into or out of the SLC 500 system (like sending data from one SLC to another SLC). Some of the instructions in here also have to do with rereading data from an Input or Output card.
If you go to the Help menu and select Instruction Help you will see a vast array of help on each and every instruction.

OG

In order to start a new rung i need to be in the user tab which has output symbols xio and xic etc.they are also present in the bit tab except for the new rung option.

Sorry about that first question thats not what i was lookig for.was trying to find difference between xic xio latch unlatch etc between user and bit tabs

No different what so ever. Rockwell programmers decided in there infinite wisdom to place those instruction under both tabs. Who knows why. It does not matter they are the same instruction.

FYI, you can start a new rung ( insert,append a rung) under the user tab,
also click on edit then insert or append a rung. It does not matter what tab you have selected. You can also insert, append a new rung by selecting a rung then right click on it and select insert or append. Again it does not matter what tab you have selected. You can be on "Advanced Math" tab, you you like.

Edit: IndustMech types faster then I do.

Last edited:
Remember the User tab is configurable. You can put whatever you want in that tab. Rockwell decided to put a few things in there for you to get you started. But you can remove those if you wish and add your own if you like.

Anything in the User tab is a duplicate. I can add the TON instruction to the User tab because I use it a lot. However it will still be in the Timer/Counter tab.

OG

Thanks for the answers.Iam sure there will be plenty more questions as i move through this.

Remember the User tab is configurable. You can put whatever you want in that tab. Rockwell decided to put a few things in there for you to get you started. But you can remove those if you wish and add your own if you like.

Anything in the User tab is a duplicate. I can add the TON instruction to the User tab because I use it a lot. However it will still be in the Timer/Counter tab.

OG

I didn't know that.How do you do that?

View - Toolbars
Click on SLC 500 Instructions, Click on Customize
Right side is what's currently in the USR tab. Left side is what's available. Use arros in the middle to add or subtract. Then click OK.