Doownloading a ladder program from an SLC 5/03

giovani

Hi,everyone !

I have a question concerning how to download a program from an SLC 5/03 and how to upload a program to it.

It's going to be the first time I'll use this PLC so I really don't know the mechanics of doing any of the above.

Since I still have no documentation about it any help woul be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Giovani.

You can upload/download to the 503 in 2 different ways. The first is to use the 485 port and a 1784-POM4 using RSLinx. That configuration uses a laptop. The other way is to use RSLinx and the serial port on your computer. You can find exact configuration parameters on their website at ab.com.

Giovani,

in RSLogix500 click on the menu-item Help - Contents, select the tab Find. Entering the term upload gave me 18 topics, for the term download I even got 54 topics. One of the topics was: "Procedure: Download/Go Online". From there on you'll find info about port settings and so on. The manuals are also available online. Just go to the AB website , select the item Publications Library, which folds open and subsequently select Manuals On-Line.

It took me less than 10 minutes to come up with this info, so I'm wondering why you didn't get there.

Kind regards,

make sure you have crossover cable. AB sells
1746-CP3 and 1456-CP3 but any other "null-modem"
cable should work (i tried half a dozen different
ones and they all worked so far).
plug the cable to PLC serial port and other end to
COM port of your PC. Start RSLinx to establish connection.
Delete or stop all existing drivers in RSLinx and make sure
no program is using the COM port you intend to use.
When in RSLinx, select Add New Driver and select something
called "RS232 DF1" from the list. Before you can use the
PLC, you have to specify which COM port you want to use.
Click on "Autoconfigure" and in few seconds you should
get message "Autoconfig successfull". This means that
RSLinx tried to talk to PLC through COM port and cable
you have selected.
Leave RSLinx running and open RSLogix500. Open your program
and select the path to PLC in Comms setup (RSWho window)
and click Download...

... oops ... be careful here ...

first of all, be sure that you get the program "transfer direction" right ...

... download a program from an SLC 5/03 and how to upload a program to it.

in Allen-Bradley terminology (and for most other brands too),

we DOWNload a program TO the PLC processor FROM the computer ...

we UPload a program FROM the PLC processor TO the computer ...

in the quote above you've got the directions backwards ...

two or three times a year we get a frantic call from a customer who has just made a mistake and UPloaded instead of DOWNloaded ... if he then "saves" the file (which he normally does) then he's just overwritten the "good" program on his computer with the "junk" program from his processor ... if he doesn't have a backup copy of the program then he's in serious hot water ...