Reading PLC5/40 s-register into PV1500

pw3

Long-winded subject line, but I basically need to know the proper addressing notation for a PV1500 Plus to read individual bits out of the S-register of a PLC5/40e.

Using RSViewME, when I browse for tags the S-register shows up as "S2" in the folder tree. I can then specify the entire integer--S2:1 for example--but it will not allow me to look at an individual bit, like S2:1.1. When I type in the ".1" and put the application into SIM mode I get a message that the tag "is no longer available".

I would like to incorporate a number of the status registers into our application as alarms--has anyone run into this issue?

Thanks--o_O

You have the right idea. You type in the bit number. But in the PLC-5 you must use a "/" character to separate the bit from the word. For example: S:1/15

It is not necessary to specify the "2" in S2 since the Status file can only be in file 2. Just like you don't have to specify the "0" for outputs or the "1" for inputs.

OG

you're the man

Thanks--just tried it, worked fine. Needs to be put in the "Things AB doesn't tell you about their products" book.

Glad that did the trick. Bear in mind that the PV+ is really geared toward the newer Logix 5000 style controllers where everything is tag based. Sometimes things in the PLC/SLC are a little clunky as a result.

Even still, even in the Logix 5000 if you wanted a bit within a tag, you still are faced with the same predicament.

OG