NEWB warning: SLC5/01 via RS232

kleppy

So I've been searching and even made one attempt to make a serial to PLC cable with no success. Mabe I'm going about it all wrong?

I have a SLC 5/01 and a serial port on my PC. Whats the simplest way to make these two talk? My budget is $0. :confused:

I should mention I have all the software too.

you need a converter from RS232 to DH485. You cannot make one by yourself.
The cheapest is the PIC-7 cable from GiT's website:
http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm

edit: Not sure, but I think that you also need an AIC module to hook up this adapter with the PLC.
I am somehwat rusty as it has been 16 years since I last had to dabble with DH485.

Last edited:
Your SLC5/01 does not have a serial port. Its port is DH485.
Sense your budget is $0 then you are not going to get there from here.

You need a 1747-PIC (RS232 to DH485 interface)you need areal serial port for this. Or a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)

See Link below for one option. From the same seller as jesper mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Bradley-1...ash=item3ef87b892e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

jesper types faster then I do

I don't see a DB9 to RJ45 cable anywhere on there.

Its got the wrong picture.... on the website, I am making a new website so I will get the correct picture when its done, its the 5th from the top.

This is the ebay one and its the cheapest one that will work for you... I have others just search 1747-PIC in my ebay store

Allen Bradley Programming Cable 1747-PIC SLC500-503 7ft

Thanks
Mark

Its got the wrong picture.... on the website, I am making a new website so I will get the correct picture when its done, its the 5th from the top.

This is the ebay one and its the cheapest one that will work for you... I have others just search 1747-PIC in my ebay store

Allen Bradley Programming Cable 1747-PIC SLC500-503 7ft

Thanks
Mark

OK Thanks so much. I've seen this cable suggested countless times on this site (I've been lurking) but what everyone always pointed to was that cable and now knowing it's the wrong picture, I feel so much better.