what are the main differnces between NC & CNC ??

magdyfayad

what are the main differnces between NC & CNC ??

if i have a PLC and a panel , is it called then NC ?? or when called NC ??

do CNC must operate with G-code or what ?

thanks

CNC(as well as NC)require more than just a PLC. Although you can use a PLC to control servo motors, the shapes that can be made are limited (typically point to point) A CNC machine is used to cut or otherwise form materials into complex shapes using multiple axis with servo motors acting in tightly controlled co-ordinated motion. In order for the process to be accurate, the control must be able to process the desired tool paths into a motion path(quickly and accurately)that must take into consideration tool size, tool edge wear and shape, desired speed and feed rate, etc. A PLC (as far as I know)is not capable of this type of complex motion control. All (again, that I am aware of) CNC machines have some sort of PLC imbedded that will control things like coolant on/off, chuck open/close,etc. But the bulk of processing power is used for the motion/speed control of the tools.
🍻
Others can elaborate more on this, as I am just a ROOKIE..

NC = Numerical Control. The commands are gives as sequences of numbers.
CNC = Computer Numerical Control. You can enter commands as mnemonics, which in turn are translated to numerical control sequences.

NC can (up to a certain level) be done by a PLC, CNC requires (almost always) a computer.

Kind regards,