PLC design..

cclaus

Folks, Boss wants me to design a PLC control device for an old, manual filler device. I went to school before PLCs became the way to go. I have worked WITH PLCs but have never designed a system to use one. I.e., I need help getting started. Any suggestions appreciated...đź“š

First thing is to list all your I/O - digital - analogue - RTD - thermocouple - communications - second outline you process so that you will know how much memory and what type of processor you require - you may then be in a position to slect a PLC to do the job.

OK. I have an ON (Start) Switch, an EMO, a scale input (for shut-off) and a valve that needs to turn on and off. The ON switch will open the valve, the fluid will flow until the scale reaches a pre-set weight, then the scale sends a signal to turn off the valve. The cycle begins again with the ON switch. Basically I just need a glorified relay to turn the valve on and off..

Ima have to look that up.. I do believe so, but I will need to look at the website to verify. I will post again tomorrow with the answer. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Wow, he has a website to look at for the specs? Clue us in if you really want us to teach you, see'in as how you aint't tellen' us everything. If you REALLY want to learn then start from the B4 and get the there after.
We have a Project to do....
State your required specifications here:

Define the equipement/sensors required to achieve the specs.

Provide a comprehensive design. (no doubt rejected)

Lie, cheat, and/or steal the money to buy the equipment.
(not covered in this discussion)

Suffer the NON-recognition for making it work, OH YES, where is my coffee?

ok off my stump, HEY CClaus whats the URL to the test question?

bitmore

Cclaus
Make sure you design in a tare step before each fill to allow for splashing onto the scale. This will prevent light weight filling.

Dan Bentler

Alrighty then! Thanks to BobB, Bitmore, and Dan for your help so far. I do really appreciate it!
OK: The scale does provide 4-20 mA signal to answer BobB's question.
Bitmore: YES please help me! I want to do this thing some justice; I'm still on probation here and I want to "pass this test" with flying colors..
The button is a run of the mill momentary switch. As I understand it the PLC will latch it on until the scale sends the "I'm full" signal.
The EMO is a standard push on, twist and pull off.
The scale is a Rice Lake Model BM1212S-100 with the aforementioned 4-20 mA output.
The valve is pneumatically operated through the existing equipment.

BobB,
To more accurately answer your question, there are provisions for analog or digital inputs and outputs, if I am reading the specs correctly.

What size (s ??) container(s) are you intending to fill?
If only one container size it is a bit simpler
- but how long will that last
- I would consider allowing for container size variation
- sooner or later somebody will want a different size.

Is this a completely automatic system ie empties come in on a conveyer get positioned under a fill spout and filled to weight?

There is always some residual left in the spout after the valve shuts which either adds to weight of container AND spills onto scale. That is why I think you need to do a tare of each container before filling.

Dan Bentler

Dan, thanks for getting back.. This is a completely manual system. Empty bags; they could be anywhere from 1 gallon to 3 gallons they way I understand it (we don't have any yet to look at or practice with..). The filler neck is only about an inch long from the filler valve seat. Since we are cueing off of the weight of the bag, the time issue is moot. The empty bag is manually connected to the filler, the empty bag is laid onto the scale, the start button is pressed, the valve opens, when the weight reaches the setpoint (handled by the scale controller), the signal is sent to close the valve. The full bag is manually unloaded, capped and placed to the side. Tare is handled through the scale's controller. This is going to be used in a beverage concentrate line, so 5% or less error is probably going to be OK.. The % error on our 3.5 gallon bucket fill line is close to that much.

Dan, more on tare: Since this is a manual line, there will be a towel (or similiar) there to clean the scale between fill cycles. Several (?) bags will be weighed and an average weight will be figured and then the average weight will be programmed into the scale's controller as a "standard" tare weight. Or at least that's the way the bucket fill line is done.

OK that is one way to do it - at least you are addressing the question of taring.

Where I have the experience is from food - our stuff varied from near frozen thick n goopy to hot (180F) and nearly water. Old machines so a lot of the algorythms were timed - royal pain - always tweaking.

Dan Bentler

yeah, there's not really going to be any timing here.... There is a counter that measured the rate of flow built into the filler device, but we will be circumventing that with the scale.

Why not utilise the pulse output as a safety measure; ie actually run the program via the scale, but also on the PLC run a backup count (plus say 15%) that will shut off if the scale fails/ hose splits / bag or bucket missing etc?