Difference between a 1794-AENT Series A and a 1794-AENT Series B

Rob S.

Could you tell me the difference between a 1794-AENT Series A
( No Thumbwheel Switch ) and a 1794-AENT Series B( with a
thumbwheel switch). Any special settings for the Thumbwheel?

Thanks in advance, Have a good evening.

Could you tell me the difference between a 1794-AENT Series A
( No Thumbwheel Switch ) and a 1794-AENT Series B( with a
thumbwheel switch). Any special settings for the Thumbwheel?

Thanks in advance, Have a good evening.

Probably the same reason the E3 Smart Overload relays switched back rotary dial for Devicenet node settings.

After the unit has been set up, and any 'glitch' causes the DHCP IP configuration to be lost, it probably defaults back to an IP that other units will have as well as a default. Putting the Thumbwheel ensures a unique IP is set of each AENT.

As you have identified, Series B has the thumbwheel switch to set the last octet of the IP address.

If the thumbwheel is set for a value between 1 and 254, then the 1794-AENT/B uses the Class C Private Subnet address 192.168.0.xxx.

If the thumbwheel is set for 255 (or 000, I think), the 1794-AENT/B works just like the Series A unit; it defaults to BOOTP/DHCP or uses whatever value is stored in nonvolatile memory.

The Series B hardware has some improved grounding and shielding, but I don't know of any significant performance differences.

There is no "default" IP address for the 1794-AENT; if the device were to lose its nonvolatile configuration it would revert to BOOTP/DHCP.