Advise on PLC for simple function

xcode

What is out there in the low cost PLC with low cost programming software?

Entertron? I have seen the FREE software ads here on this forum, however, there is no prices on the website for the hardware.

I considered the AB SLC500 cheap compared to $2000 setups new going for $150 on ebay. Great, you can get the hardware all you want, now the software is a pain. I have the trial version of RSlogix 500 and it will not connect to the 5/03 I have. Now I see I need RSlinx lite. Tried that and it still does not connect.

I have a nice blinking red light on the FLT, and a green blinking on the DH485. Even when the cable is not connected.

I see now that XP Pro has issues with older AB software which is bad, I have Windows 7 on about everything I have. XP is however on the tablet i am trying to use on the SLC 500.

Suggestions?

Most important on the PLC direction is
interface with Proface HMI
able to control at least 4 relay device like the 1746-OW16

I have the trial version of RSlogix 500 and it will not connect to the 5/03 I have.
Yes, it will not. If you check carefully you will find that the trial or demo version of RSLogix500 (now called RSLogix500 Lite by Rockwell) only works with the (EDIT CORRECTION FROM BERNIE:) Micrologix 1000 AND 1100 PLCS.

There are many small cheap PLCs with free software: Allen-Bradley Pico, Omron ZEN, Automation Direct, and Enteron to name a few. But if you need to use this PLC with a certain brand or model of HMI, then check the specifications before buying the PLC.

Last edited:
What is out there in the low cost PLC with low cost programming software?

Entertron? I have seen the FREE software ads here on this forum, however, there is no prices on the website for the hardware.

I considered the AB SLC500 cheap compared to $2000 setups new going for $150 on ebay. Great, you can get the hardware all you want, now the software is a pain. I have the trial version of RSlogix 500 and it will not connect to the 5/03 I have. Now I see I need RSlinx lite. Tried that and it still does not connect.

I have a nice blinking red light on the FLT, and a green blinking on the DH485. Even when the cable is not connected.

I see now that XP Pro has issues with older AB software which is bad, I have Windows 7 on about everything I have. XP is however on the tablet i am trying to use on the SLC 500.

Suggestions?

Most important on the PLC direction is
interface with Proface HMI
able to control at least 4 relay device like the 1746-OW16
Horner makes quite a few small but powerfull PLCs with LCD display build-in (XLe).
They also make a bit more expensive stuff.
Software is free for all plus you can add remote I/O down the line if need be.
They also come with 2 ports, both can be configured for user protocols (RS485, etc).

Mitsubish Alpha 2 also, similar to Pico and Logo. Square D (Schneider) has something similar also. But I don't know about connecting any of those to any kind of HMI, though most have or can have a small two or three line LCD display built in.

Sorry for taking so long to respond back.

Based on the information you have provide so far, a Smart-PAK PLUS with two serial ports would be the best fit if you are looking to interface with an operator interface. You will need Modbus as your communications protocol.

All in all, the above unit is $240.00 Models are available for either 12 VDC power or 24 VDC power.

It is not the cheapest option out there, however it is the most robust.

Feel free to contact us through the links below if you are interested.

God Bless,