ab rslogix 500

There's a matrix of Vista information and feature support info over on the Rockwell Automation knowledgebase.

You need the latest versions; RSLogix 500 v8.10 and RSLinx Classic 2.55. I'm not sure which version of RSLogix 5 runs on Vista.

I think the Home Ultimate and Business versions of Vista are supported.

Because of the new hardware subsystems in Vista, there are quite a few old interface cards that are not supported. Read the compatibility notes on the RA Knowledgebase carefully before deciding to use a Windows Vista computer.

Ken, how 'bout Windows 7. Since as I understand it, Win7 is based on the XP kernel, are we going to have better compatability?

An expanded answer:

Start at the RA Knowledgebase:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/

Just using the search term "Vista" brings up a list of documents that answer the original question.

AID# 50426 says that RSLogix 500 v8.10 is Windows Vista compatible.

AID# 63516 says that RSLogix 5 v7.40 is Windows Vista compatible.

AID# 52337 includes details on RSLinx 2.52 and 2.53 under Windows Vista.

AID# 54364 describes all the operating systems (including Vista Home Basic and Vista Business) that RSLogix 5000 v17 has been tested with.

AID# 42682 is a detailed Rockwell Automation software and Microsoft Windows operating system compatibility matrix.

I expect Windows 7's XP Compatibility Mode to provide greatly improved support for existing and future automation software products, including RSLogix and RSLinx.

The users I know who are running the Windows 7 release candidate report very good success running RSLogix, RSLinx, RSView, PanelBuilder, etc.

RS (versions mentioned above) stuff works quite well on vista...but vista keeps crashing!!! (RS 5000 easily crashes if using search/replace, ctrl+f feature)
So you need to remember SAVE & BACKUP your project OFTEN!!!đź’€

Obviously RA doesn't officially support an O/S that has not been released yet. However as Ken mentions, if you have Win 7 Pro or higher then you will get Windows XP Mode which uses the new Windows Virtual PC. You also have to have a CPU that supports hardware virtualization. This can almost entirely relieve us of compatibility issues. Almost!

I created a new VMWare virtual machine yesterday using the Windows 7 Enterprise trial (not beta or RC). So that is a Win 7 RC host with a Win 7 RTM guest!

RSLinx installation and setting up a driver went much smoother than it did with the RC. Used version 2.55

RSLogix5/500 installed and ran without a hitch. Uploading and downloading had no problems. Version 8.1(RSLogix500 and version 7.40 (RSLogix5).

RSLogix5000 worked except I got an error installing the Data Preserve tool. All else installed fine and again it ran and uploaded and downloaded without issue. Version 17.01.02.

I did have UAC turned off for all of this.

But as is typically the case, most likely we won't see "official" support until the next release after Win 7 ships. But since it is Vista-based, most programs that run on Vista should run on Win 7.

OG