OT, Class 1 Div 2

Anybody doing printing with volatile solvents would fall into this catagory. We recently manufactured a line that used methanol to process a web. The customer also used acetone as a cleaning solvent.

These are synchronized rotary axes with registration requirements. However, in most cases, this only applies to motors and sensors. Are you thinking of the motion controller istelf being located in this area? In all the cases i have delat with we have been able to locate the control cabinet outside the rated area.

Keith

Peter
Thinking about it a little more it is just an expansion of oil and gas industry - but the answer is anyone who uses volatile solvents in their process painting, chemical plants, trasnport, hospitals (anaesthetics)

Another industry
compressed gas plants and end user of flammable gases (electronic mfr)

Coal mining and handling transport and storage

Another market opportunity - this smart grid stuff I have been reading about. Maybe a subset of it but right here in our backyard Bonneville is having fits shuffling varying supply from wind farms. Granted each is only 1 or 2 Mw but when you have 15 on the hilltop and the wind dies where do you pick up the load they have shed?
Dan Bentler

I work for a mfg of process equipment where 85% of our packaged systems are for hazardous areas. Of that, 90% is Class I, Division 2 and the remainder Class I, Division 1.

Class 1 Div 2 has to due with being able to safely working around explosive vapors.
Class I, Division 2 is when explosive vapors are not typically present unless something has failed or an abnormality exists.

A Class I, Division 1 location is where explosive vapors are/can be present at all times, as part of normal operation.

I agree with kamenges as we put in a lot of motors and encoders into hazardous areas but the control system either in a safe area or in a purged enclosure. Besides oil & chemical areas, there is Pharmaceuticals.

Last edited:
Dusty air, silos would be Class 2.

Loosely translated:

Class 1 is combustible vapors
Class 2 is combustible dust/fibers

Div 1 is where the item is normally present in dangerous levels, during normal processing conditiosn.
Div 2 is where the item is not normally present, but may be during an abnormal (i.e., breakdown) situation.

Are you thinking of the motion controller istelf being located in this area?
Yes, we just got certified but we did it for one company in the oil and gas industry. Mostly for pipe handling and drilling. To get a faster return on investment I am looking for other fields. I don't think too many motion controllers have this rating.

Just small side note I don't know for american regulation
if i'm not mistaken , then when you talk about atex if certified for gas (zone 0,1,2) it doesn't mean your are certified for dust (zones 20,21,22)

So if you have the same regulation in the usa then peter can't use the Class 1 for class 2 application unless he gets an extra certification

Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

I don't think too many motion controllers have this rating.

I suspect you are right. I also suspect most manufacturers don't consider this a big priority. I think this has some merit in the fluid power world, where a HPU can be driven by a simple motor starter in an XP enclosure or you use air. But for motor driven systems you still need to do something with the drives. This means getting out of the rated area or purged enclosures. In either case you have somewhere to put the motion controller since you have to put the drives somewhere.

As far as I have been able to find, the AB 1756 family is rated Class 1 Div 2. There may be a couple of modules that are not but the motion cards are.

Keith

Peter
Like Kieth we do web handling, We use TCE (tricloretholyne spelling?) Class 1 div 2 in vapor areas, in mixing (powder) operations, Storage silos, Class 1 div 1 in liquid storage (tank farms)

Our sister plant has the hexane (spelling?) they do the the same web handling stuff. Using the chemicals to extract oil out of a web.

You could look at material conveyor drive systems for XP places. We had a couple of Hyd. coveyors to keep from using electric motors.

Alot of bulk material handling processes are classified as Class 2 Div 1 or 2. Even when processing sugar you can end up with a hazardous location.

It is getting more and more common actually for powder handling requiring some area classification.

Take a look at like say a can of Chunky Soup. The lids have printing and coating on them. This entire process is Class 1 Div 2. Take a look at the inside of a can. It also has a coating of paint. Class 1 Div 2.