S7-300

Joel Mancilla

Hi Gurus,

Quick question,
What is the Software needed for Siemens S7-300 PLC to modify the program and driver to comunicate Software and PLC? We have machine uses S7-300 and OP17 but the manufacturer never give the sofware.

Many thanks in advance.

Step 7 Simatic Manager. It contains the LAD/STL/FBD editor and a few others. For the OP17 you need WinCC Flex. If you want to write in SCL you need to buy that editor separate and there are other bits you can buy too. But the starter pack is enough in most cases to talk to the s7-300

Hi Joel.
You can try to search for the free STEP7 LITE.
You need an MPI cable to connect to the PLC, and no you cannot make one by yourself. Siemens has a "PC Adapter USB", and there are also 3rd party suppliers that are either cheaper or better.

Notice 1: Even if you can go online, there will be no comments or symbols. The program will be very hard to read.

Notice 2: If the program is password protected, then you cannot go online or upload the program at all.
And no, I dont want to discuss cracking the password.

For OP17 you would need Protool, not WinCC Flex. But dont bother, without the source code you can do nothing.
Also, the OP17 is totally obsolete so you cannot even get any spares for it any longer, apart from second hand units.

You have to use Simatic Manager or STEP 7 LITE for s7-300 PLC program
You have to use Protool to work with OP 17.
However you will not be able to modify the existing PLC program if it is protected and Protool you only get the execution file that can transfer to another OP 17.
If you need the source code of the Protool program you have to get it from the manufacturer or you need to rebuild the existing program with Protool while studing the system and do your modifications to match the PLC program if you can get the PLC program.

You have to use Simatic Manager or STEP 7 LITE for s7-300 PLC program
You have to use Protool to work with OP 17.
However you will not be able to modify the existing PLC program if it is protected and Protool you only get the execution file that can transfer to another OP 17.
If you need the source code of the Protool program you have to get it from the manufacturer or you need to rebuild the existing program with Protool while studing the system and do your modifications to match the PLC program if you can get the PLC program.

I agree, except that you probably can't buy ProTool anymore. It was replaced in '04 or '05 with "WinCC Flexible" with the most recent version being WinCC Flexible 2008. As far as I know, unless a distributor happens to have some old stock of ProTool v6 on hand, it isn't being sold anymore. I'm not sure if it's even supported anymore.

Yes, Siemens do not support Protool any more. If you can get hold of the original source codes, I will give it a try to connect to some vendors who has those early software versions of operator pannels and PLC, otherwise it is pointless