Loadcell setup

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have this load cell running to an analog input on a beckhoff unit. I am trying to figure out how to scale it correctly and I think I am missing something simple.

It is a grade G, rated for 5000kg.

The Card is setup for +-10v
This goes into an integer so =-32767

So far the only rough calibration I have done is with my weight.
I way 200 lbs and stepped on the loadcell and got a value of 35.
200/35=5.714286 so every unit is 5.714lbs roughly.

Is the correct way to setup this equation with weights or is there a way I can pull a formula off this datasheet?

Thanks for any advice!

Your load cell output is rated at about 2 millivolts per volt of excitation, so if you are supplying it with the maximum 15 volts, the most you're going to get is 30 millivolts from it.

I suggest you connect it to a millivolt input card or use a load cell interface to get a signal which is more in the range of your analog input.

Typically, you will set the zero and span of the system by either adjusting the settings of the load cell interface, or by writing PLC logic to record the input when empty and again with a calibrated weight in order to obtain the scaling values.

Hope this helps
Paul

here is a handy article on load cell troubleshooting in there it also covers expected outputs depending on excitiation voltage. I also covers what Okie stated. on amount of output. One other issue if this is a weigh for trade application the weights and measures act will only allow 2% zeroing without calibration. If it is a trade scale I highly recommend you use an scale indicator and transmit the resulting weight via Ascii

Last edited: