rs logixs

zxninja

Hi folks, I was just wondering if you can re-use software like, rs logix 5, 500, 5000..... I bought a set of disks conataining all the rs logix family of programs and they come with 2 activation disks for each. So, i guess I am just a little unclear as to the reuse of the activation keys. Can a key be used once, then its dead...or can you uninstall the program including the key and install it on a different computer? Any help in clearing this matter up would be great.....

"CHERRS".....jEFF

my pictures00022.jpg

Well, did you buy the licenses or just the diskettes ?

The "Master Disk" diskettes you have will definitely allow you to run each software package on at one PC each. If the Keydisk is in the drive, the software will run (search the A-B site if the software doesn't look for the activation on the keydisk).

If the License Key was moved onto the diskettes before they were sold to you, then you can move it onto a hard drive. If not, then all you have is the Keydisks.

If you bought the Licenses, you can get into the RSI support program and get new keys, key resets, software updates, and technical support.

If you only bought the diskettes, then you've got some diskettes. Keep them cool and out of the sun.

Thanks Ken....so I will be able to write programs on Rs 5000 or any of the other software but I will always need to put the activation key in while i use them....right? and if the lisences were installed on the activation keys...i will alo be able to intall them to a hard drive for good? The set came with a lap top as shown in the picture I attached, it has all the software installed on it, I am taking just the dics and activation keys.....will they need to uninstall the lisences from the lap top in order for me to get it??

thanks again..JEFF

Hey ZX, the diskettes contain a piece of the code needed to make the software run. It's Rockwell's PITA method of copy protection. If you were to try install one of your programs on another computer it would ask you to install a "key" off the disk. This is when you discover if and how many actual keys are on the disk. If it has 2 keys, and they have been moved to 2 machines without being moved back, then all you have is a floppy that will enable the program to run with the disk in the drive. If the installs are on the disk, look after them. Your software is pretty much useless without them.
If you put one on a machine, make sure you take it back off before formatting drives, etc.

vette

So in the worst case I will have to keep the activation keys in to run the software?? ok..i think I got it..I emailed her to find out if the lisences are on the activation keys. I also already have a copy of rs logix 5 on my personal comp at home, i have been using it and running school programs on a plc 5/25. Everything is in good working order...but i dont have the software for it...now that I am getting the software....can i ununstall this lisence I am using to run my current rs 5 onto another activation key if I want to? For my plan is to buy a laptop to install all the hardware on

Jeff,

if this is an "on top of the table" sale, then the best thing to do is to have the registered owner (the seller) write a quick note on their company letterhead listing the software serial numbers and stating that they are actually transferring the software over to you ... then take that note to your local Allen-Bradley distributor and have them transfer the ownership of the software into your name ... think of it as similar to buying a car ... having the car and the car keys is good ... having the title to the car legally registered in your own name is also important ... you'll be glad that you took the time to take care of this when "upgrade" time finally rolls around ...

also, most of the questions that you're asking about the "master disks" are covered in this booklet under the "activation" chapter ...

Getting Results Guide for RSLogix5

finally, you might want to try this ... put one of the "master" disks in a floppy drive ... navigate to the floppy drive and double-click on the file "EVMOVE.EXE" or "EVMOVEW.EXE" ... if you're lucky, this will start a small Windows program which will allow you to see which (if any) "installs" are still located on the disks ... usually you can look at the C: drive also and see what's on there too ... hope this helps ...

warning! ... trying to transfer the "installs" without using the EVMOVE utility usually corrupts the little secret file ...

Yes, the license is being transfered to me through the company the seller works for. She is a PLC programmer and will be sending me all the paper work, I was just unsure of the key disks. Nw, she told me there would be no transfer fees or hidden costs along with changing this software to my name...is this correct? and is it as simple as getting hold of a local Allen Bradley dealer.

Thanks again...

Last edited:
I would recommend making a backup image of the license disk before copying the keys around. Rockwell is pretty good about sending replacements if/when you PC dies and takes the license with it, or whatever. This utility has saved me many times when I handed the laptop loaner back to MIS and they uninstalled Logix5000, restaged it (formated it), etc.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

Make an image of the key file, and you can dispense a legal license key in a pinch. It's safer than praying you don't loose those disks, or get cutting fluid on them, etc.

dpn