RSLinx Enterprise 5.20

junior

I'm trying to install rslinx enterprise 5.20 that comes with FactoryTalk View 5.1 on windows vista ultimate and for some reason the half way through, the installer quits in the middle and doesn't install RSlinx. I run the installer as an administrator and I also tried to run it as windows xp sp3, but same thing. The weird thing is that I can install RSLinx Enterprise 5.17 with no problems. Is there some setting that I'm missing?

Giving this thread a bump to see if anyone has found a workaround. I'm now trying to install it on win7 x64 and I keep getting the same error message.

No error message?
Is it possible that ROCKWELLS installer wants a specific version of one of the dotNet libraries, and you have a slightly updated version that differs by 0.00000000000000001%, and is completely compatible (except for Rockwell installers)?

Well, it's never going to work on a 64 bit system. It MIGHT work on a win 7 x32 bit system. Strictly speaking it's not certified to run on Win 7, but if it runs on Vista, it might work. Try changing the compatibility mode.

No error message?
Is it possible that ROCKWELLS installer wants a specific version of one of the dotNet libraries, and you have a slightly updated version that differs by 0.00000000000000001%, and is completely compatible (except for Rockwell installers)?
RD I think you missed a 0.:p

I tried running the installer with XP service pack 3 compatibility and still the same result. It's weird, I have RSLogix500 8.2 running, RSLogix5000 17 & 18 running with rslinx classic and they all installed. Factory Talk view 5.1 installs with no problems also, it's just the RSLinx Enterprise, & I can't figure out why. I know it's going to be something stupid

Odd that it works in 5.17 but not 5.20.

Maybe try the new version 5.21. I read through the release notes in 5.21 and it makes no specific mention of errors corrected with Vista.

OG

Run it again and note the time. Open "eventvwr.msc" and search in programs and system for errors or warnings for that time frame. The termination of any install should be logged along with a reason: user click,wrong installer version, etc....
With the Vista virus I've found it's easier to open the com box with the run as then run your .cpl's or .msc's or installer from there and not have the annoying pop ups. The fact that you're using the run as with admin account indicates your not on a domain and can discount user profiles.

That can't be the complete error message, something is missing.

It's a pain, but here is where I'd start -

A) Remove any and all activations you might have for any software.
B) Image the hard drive, Disable Automatic Updating
C) Completely Uninstall ALL Factory Talk related applications (Reboot required)
D) Completely uninstall all dot.Net frameworks that are on the machine, 1, 1.1, 2, 3.5... See here for some notes on 1 and 2:
dotNet 1 Troubles
dotNet 2 Troubles
(Reboot required)

E) Start the Linx Installation by installing the Factory Talk Services Platform, allow it to install required dot.Net files.
F) Install Linx Enterprise, again, allowing it to install required dot.Net files. (Reboot now)
G) Try to install the rest of your required Rockwell Software. (probably reboot required)
H) Enable Updates, or use Internet Explorer, to allow updating of the dot.Net files (probable reboot required)
I) Check again for additional dot.Net updates, install if any are available.
J) Hope it all stays working
K) Have a beer.

That can't be the complete error message, something is missing.

It's a pain, but here is where I'd start -

A) Remove any and all activations you might have for any software.
B) Image the hard drive, Disable Automatic Updating
C) Completely Uninstall ALL Factory Talk related applications (Reboot required)
D) Completely uninstall all dot.Net frameworks that are on the machine, 1, 1.1, 2, 3.5... See here for some notes on 1 and 2:
dotNet 1 Troubles
dotNet 2 Troubles
(Reboot required)

E) Start the Linx Installation by installing the Factory Talk Services Platform, allow it to install required dot.Net files.
F) Install Linx Enterprise, again, allowing it to install required dot.Net files. (Reboot now)
G) Try to install the rest of your required Rockwell Software. (probably reboot required)
H) Enable Updates, or use Internet Explorer, to allow updating of the dot.Net files (probable reboot required)
I) Check again for additional dot.Net updates, install if any are available.
J) Hope it all stays working
K) Have a beer.

This is the only error message I get, it happens approx 1/3 the way through the install. This is on a fresh install of Win 7 x64. The only other software I had installed before this was MS Office 2007, but I can't imagine that would be causing the problem.

I have a feeling that it checks if the installation is on a win XP or x86 version and if not, the installer exits out. Why, I don't know, since everything else installs with no problems. Perhaps it's so we buy/upgrade to FT View 6 that will eventually support win 7 or x64 bit processors.