flipflop

Pratik Patel

Hello,

I want to make flip flop timer.

I want to make program for automatic wiper.

when i power ON my wiper operate after 8 hrs. for 10 min.

and then again count 8 hrs and.............

thanks,

pratik

You'll need two timers. One times 8 hours, the other times 10 minutes. Use the .DN bit from each timer to activate the other. Use the .TT bit from teh 10 minute timer to turn on your wiper.

hi

You'll need two timers. One times 8 hours, the other times 10 minutes

you can used smart relay like zelio or zen or eazy
you can used it for all subject. :p

elhagan
egypt
smart machine co

I need to know

TCIG used AB nomenclature for his explanation on HOW to DO.

How did you know it was an AB plc being used?
If you didnt know it was an AB plc being used what sense would DN and TT have made?

Can this be explained for non-AB users? The ones that dont have DN and TT?
....IE a more generic explanation?

TGIC got lucky in using AB nomencalture. But since Pratik is in the US, there was probably a 50-50 chance of being correct (marketshare being what it is).

I think ALL PLCs have a done bit. It may not be called .DN (most likely not, in fact), but there will be some mechanism of setting a bit when the timer times out.

The AB .EN bit is somewhat unusual, but not that hard to duplicate. Essentially, it's the conditions that make the Timer true. A branch around the timer with a coil would work the same. In the case of the example, the done bit of the previous timer is the logical equivalent of the enable bit.

The .TT bit (for Timer Timing) is a strange beast, however. The logic for it is "Enabled, but not Done". Or

EN DN TT
---| |---|/|------( )

Since, in the example, the previous timer's done bit is the enable bit, and since the second timer's done bit resets the first timer, you could just use the first timer's done bit to drive the output if you like.

AB Style

T4:1/DN +---- TON ---+
----|/|--------|Timer T4:0 |
| 8 hours |
+------------+

T4:0/DN +---- TON ---+
----|0|--------|Timer T4:1 |
| 10 min |
+------------+

T4:1/TT WIPER
----| |-----------------( )

Generic PLC Style

TIMER1 TIMER0
-----|/|-----[TON ]
[ 8 Hr]

TIMER0 TIMER1
-----| |-----[TON ]
[10 MIN]

TIMER0 WIPER
-----| |-------( )

The explanation, without ladder, in 25 words or less:

Use two timers. The timeout of the first starts the second. The timeout of the second resets both. When the first timer times out, drive your output.

(OK, so that's 27 words.)

Last edited:
In my infinite ignorance

I understand most of these things BUT not all plc's use AB nomenclature. I understood what TCIG said and knew of other ways to describe that were not AB specific. I dont always know how to explain the difference due to a lack of eloquence...the eloquence has been provided by Allen Nelson.

Thank you.

You'll have to excuse me. I have no exposure to anything but AB PLCs, so I tend to take things for granted.

Still worked for him, though. ;)

Ron, I agree with you 100% on this one.

Taken from the "New Here? Please read this important info!!!" at the top of the page...

5. Tips for Posting

When posing your question, remember that the various PLC’s use some terms and symbols that are unique to their product line. If you specify a question strictly in the unique terms used by your particular PLC you might be excluding some people from helping you. This is because some people won't recognize or understand the specific terms you are using.

While the general rule, “If you can program one PLC, you can program them all ” certainly is true, it is only true to the extent that one needs to learn the particular identifiers and symbols of the unfamiliar PLC.

So, try to be as general as possible so as to include all of the possible respondents, and yet be as specific as necessary to clearly identify the problem.

If questions are asked and answered in this manner, then many more stand to benefit! That is, after all, why we are here!

I wonder how many have read that little piece of artwork.