PIW adress error (S7)

Yes. Diagnostics buffer please. (tsk tsk)

A guess:
The drive is not accessible via the Profibus, and you dont have OB85 loaded.

A sidenote:
It is most likely a good idea to load the bytes 256..259 consistently.
Since it is 4 bytes, you can simply write
L PID256

I/O access error, reading
P area word access
OB122

Yes. Diagnostics buffer please. (tsk tsk)

A guess:
The drive is not accessible via the Profibus, and you dont have OB85 loaded.

A sidenote:
It is most likely a good idea to load the bytes 256..259 consistently.
Since it is 4 bytes, you can simply write
L PID256

diag buffer

kjedbf.JPG

I'm testing, why should I load an OB122 ?, what I need is: no errors.

The only thing written in OB1 is:

L PIW256

Repeat.
Please give us the diagnostics buffer, not just one entry.

Is there a reason why you dont have OB122 ?
Do you intentionally want the CPU to stop ?

Use the Save As button to save the entire diagnostics buffer as a text file.

My guess is that the Lenze drive is not accessible on the Profibus. This causes the CPU to stop - because OB122 is not loaded.
Do you really want the the CPU to crash in this case ? This is poor error handling if you ask me.

If evaluating the Diagnostics Buffer is too difficult, then try to use the HW Diagnostics in stead. This is sometimes faster to pinpoint errors, especially with Profibus.
edit: The LEDs on the CPU are also helpful.

Last edited:
Siemens

Siemens,

But I think I found the problem, the Lenze is in a configuration mode, it doesn't communicate at that moment, so accessing the adresses of that drive isn't possible at that moment I guess.

Jesper: I never load OB122, OB86, OB87 etc... We have machines that are running allready many years. The diagnostic OB's is more for long production lines that may not stop because of an error of one device. I'm not putting my time in too much diagnostic code, when there is a hardware failure, the CPU may stop on our machines, that's np.

But
is the CPU a Siemens 315 or a VIPA CPU ?

I'm not putting my time in too much diagnostic code, when there is a hardware failure, the CPU may stop on our machines, that's np.
It certainly makes you an indispensable person in that plant. Are you never sick ? Dont go on holiday ? Take extra leave ?

I think "Report System Error" could be something for you.
It provides Hardware Diagnostics Information to the operator without the need for a programming geek.

hmmm

We build machines for other company's.
An operator doesn't even knows what the word profibus or lenze means. To our customers we have VPN.

It certainly makes you an indispensable person in that plant. Are you never sick ? Dont go on holiday ? Take extra leave ?

I think "Report System Error" could be something for you.
It provides Hardware Diagnostics Information to the operator without the need for a programming geek.

It is not much help for an operator to look at a machine that just stands there, with a red light flashing on the CPU.

The easy part is to make a machine work.
The hard part is to make it work or at least behave satisfactorily in "abnormal" situations, such as when a part is stuck inside, the operator make "stupid" decisions, or some part is defective.
For us it means that we have detailed error messages for any concievalbe and any unconcievable situation (as many as we can think of). If the error is technically difficult for a local operator to solve, then the error message can at least help with narrowing down the cause, and with forwardng the information to an expert.
In addition to the online error messages, there is a more detailed troubleshooting in the manual.

Remote access is a nice additional help. Hmmm .... since you didnt know how to figure out a simple profibus problem, how would you have helped your endcustomer over VPN ? (maybe I was a little harsh there).

hmm

Thanks for being helpful in previous posts,
No thanks for evaluate my question as being simple and therfore assuming that I cannot manage a VPN communication.
Everything works, the cyclic datachannels did not match (drive <-> hardware config). I'm starting up an SMV, first time that I use these drives. I could see the drive on adress 10, but I could not access adress 256, that's something that was weird to me.
And I solved it myself, hmm...

It is not much help for an operator to look at a machine that just stands there, with a red light flashing on the CPU.

The easy part is to make a machine work.
The hard part is to make it work or at least behave satisfactorily in "abnormal" situations, such as when a part is stuck inside, the operator make "stupid" decisions, or some part is defective.
For us it means that we have detailed error messages for any concievalbe and any unconcievable situation (as many as we can think of). If the error is technically difficult for a local operator to solve, then the error message can at least help with narrowing down the cause, and with forwardng the information to an expert.
In addition to the online error messages, there is a more detailed troubleshooting in the manual.

Remote access is a nice additional help. Hmmm .... since you didnt know how to figure out a simple profibus problem, how would you have helped your endcustomer over VPN ? (maybe I was a little harsh there).