Need help with Modicon PLC talking to AB Powerflex 4

davexr

Can anyone help me with serial communication between a modicon plc E984-265 and an AB powerflex 4 drive.

i have looked through the posts and can't seem to find any info on how to connect the two items. i bought a rs232 to rs485 convertert but am not sure if i really need it or not. the plc has an rj45 rs232 port for modbus and the drive has a rj45 rs485 port on the front. (i would like the pinouts if anyone has this info and if i can do a direct connection). otherwise i would appreciate other places i might check to find the answer. the schneider website doesn't seem to have any info and i can't beleive i am the first to try this.

i am also using proworx nt. i would like to know what function i should use to transmit this data when and if i can get them to talk. I have the WRIT and MSTR functions but i don't have the XMIT or XXMIT functions. please let me know if this project is even feasable with what i have.

thanks for any help you can give.
Dave

I can't help you with the Modicon instructions, but I am familiar with the wiring and protocol of the PowerFlex 4-series.

The RS-485 network wiring is illustrated in Appendix C of the PowerFlex 4 User Manual, Publication 22A-UM001. You will see that "Data+" is Pin 4, and "Data-" is Pin 5.

Appendix C gives you all the drive parameter settings and the Modbus function codes and addresses you will need to control the drive from a Modicon controller or any other Modbus RTU Master.

RS-485 always requires a common reference, which for the PowerFlex 4 drives is the Protective Earth "PE" terminal. Be certain to connect Terminal 16 to earth as shown in the control wiring diagram on page 1-13 of the User Manual.

While you can make your own RJ-45 connectors, A-B does sell a convenient RJ45/screw terminal connector that gives you an easy way to land wires on pins 4 and 5 of the connector. The part number is AK-U0-RJ45-TB2P and it is illustrated on page D-2 of the User Manual.

thanks ken for the info, i have made those connections, but still can't seem to get my modicon controler to communicate with the drive. AB is very good at giving the proper wiring i wish modicon was the same.

thanks again, Dave