OT: Production Line Jams

Gummit

Hi,

We have been asked to quote for a job which will include a display showing jams/stoppages on production lines.

What I would appreciate some help with is the names/terminology you all use for jams/stoppages on your production lines.

Thanks in advance.

We use either "Jam" or "Block" for faults. But this could just be a result of the Italian to English translation used at our parent company.

Thanks for that quick reply.

A little more detail for you, there will be a number of sensors on the line and so the message needs to identify which sensor. So, we were thinking along the lines of.....

Conveyer belt stopped

and so on. Does this sound right?

Ask the Customer

We can give you all sorts of names, but ultimately it is what the customer wants.

For tracks, we use low level and flow stop.
For load faults, it is usually x-count, where x is the number of parts missed before the line halts.

Since You Mentioned Sensors

On a line I did a controls conversion for, the sensors were clearly labeled. For load faults, my message would be something like below.

<Part Name>
x-Count
Sensor xYY

We use detailed descriptions with a block number:

"Block 001 - Wingnut Jam At Whirlygig Station" and so on to point the operator in the right direction.

You need to be asking this question to your customer. It's not up to either you or us to define what they call things in their system. And it's easier to get their naming convention first, before you start doing the job rather than having to go back to change it when the names you've assigned don't make any sense to them...

I agree that the terminology should be dictated by the customer. I have heard a lot of different names from "ball-up" to "cripples" in reference to product damage. As another example, some people see the word "conveyor" as very general...could be a screw auger or a "belt", but which one? If all the motors have a 3 digit number taken from the electrical drawing, that might be totally meaningless to the operators who call the machines "line 1, belt 1", "line 3 belt 6", and so on...

Get the customer (operations) to assist with naming the equipment, and include device names if necessary that are consistent with the device tags and electrical drawings.

Paul

"Blocked" & "Starved", "OverCycle" are terms I see often for time studies. Most of the time these are based on conditions in the logic of any stations along the line.

The only description I haven't seen is "Queue back" or Q-back for short. Used to indicate that a process has stopped due to events downstream.

Just a thought - and I have no financial reason to post this - I have recently been installing a display unit which will log downtimes, cycle times, BREAKS, and show % efficiency, which machine is stopped etc. It works with a web browser so you can view it from any pc on a LAN (Ours is now on a WAN!). www.optimumfx.com

Last edited: