OT - Motor Data for Old Motors & Drives

jcr

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone here have a good resource for finding specs for old motors and drives. I have good luck in Google finding places that will repair or sell the drives and motors I am looking for. What I would like to do though is find the Drive and motor specs so I can replace them with a modern solution.

One example: Siemens Motor 1HU3058-0AF01-0ZZ9-Z

Look For Old Industrial Automation Catalogues

Hi JCR,

Your best solution for this kind of problem is to find the catalogues where these devices are listed. Often the manufacturers won't be able to avail the requested specs, since the simply don't have them any more. You could check out eBay.com
for these old catalogues. Our you could ask your generic industrial automation components provider. Maybe they have kept these old books, with the information you are looking for.

You could also post the Brandname and the Type of what you are looking for here in the forum.

As frankh has hinted, motor manufacturers are notoriously poor at keeping records. I doubt you will get anything worthwhile from them.

In reality, your best source of information is the motor nameplate. I know of no other source.

Sometimes it really tough to acquire info like that. You might already know about what I'm going to write, but it may help others.

Using your example 1HU3058-0AF01-0ZZ9-Z...

First, you throw it into Google as is. As you've discovered, you get lots of hits about repair and sales. Not what you're looking for, but when you look at a few of those pages, you discover that the part number is for a Siemens DC servo motor. OK, so you already knew that, but lets say you didn't.

We now know that it's a Siemens motor, so we go to their website. They have a search box, so we throw your part number in there. Zero results. Wow, Siemens made it, so you'd think THEY would know more than Google. OK, while we're at the Siemens site, let's drill down to servo motors. Notice the naming conventions they use for their current motors; 1FT7, 1FK7. We can make an educated guess that your part number is probably for a 1HU3 series motor. A quick Google search for 'Siemens 1HU3' confirms this is probably true.

Let's try typing 1HU3 in the search box at Siemens. Hey, now we got 12 results. You may find what you need, assuming their site search works well. If it doesn't, or if they didn't HAVE a search box, we can just use Google. If you use Google's 'advanced search' you can search for 1HU3 ONLY at the siemens.com domain. This produces a search for "1HU3" with "site:siemens.com" after it. Hey, Google found more results than Siemens!

In this specific case, the first PDF seems like the only 'useful' information (and you may need to translate some of the terms), but it may be of some help... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Sometimes it really tough to acquire info like that. You might already know about what I'm going to write, but it may help others.

Using your example 1HU3058-0AF01-0ZZ9-Z...

First, you throw it into Google as is. As you've discovered, you get lots of hits about repair and sales. Not what you're looking for, but when you look at a few of those pages, you discover that the part number is for a Siemens DC servo motor. OK, so you already knew that, but lets say you didn't.

We now know that it's a Siemens motor, so we go to their website. They have a search box, so we throw your part number in there. Zero results. Wow, Siemens made it, so you'd think THEY would know more than Google. OK, while we're at the Siemens site, let's drill down to servo motors. Notice the naming conventions they use for their current motors; 1FT7, 1FK7. We can make an educated guess that your part number is probably for a 1HU3 series motor. A quick Google search for 'Siemens 1HU3' confirms this is probably true.

Let's try typing 1HU3 in the search box at Siemens. Hey, now we got 12 results. You may find what you need, assuming their site search works well. If it doesn't, or if they didn't HAVE a search box, we can just use Google. If you use Google's 'advanced search' you can search for 1HU3 ONLY at the siemens.com domain. This produces a search for "1HU3" with "site:siemens.com" after it. Hey, Google found more results than Siemens!

In this specific case, the first PDF seems like the only 'useful' information (and you may need to translate some of the terms), but it may be of some help... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Great information! Thank you!

I found a generic mailbox to Siemens parts and service while I was searching this afternoon. I sent an email to it with the motor numbers I had and asked for information. I never really expected to hear from them. To my surprise, late this afternoon, I got a response from an engineer there with pdf documents containing scanned images of the old spec sheets. With the documents I received and the hints you have provided for making better searches, I should be able to find what I need.

Thank you again to everyone who responded here with help. This is why I love this site!

You're very welcome! I'm impressed that they A.) got back to you, and B.) had the information. Bravo, Siemens!... (y)

Now, since they have this info scanned into a PDF, do you think they'll go the next step and put it on their website for the next guy who needs it? I have my doubts... ;)

🍻

-Eric