ab 1746 hsce

old97ss

high speed counter is hooked up. works great going a-b but when we reverse the direction on the encoder (b-a) we lose ticks. 360 degrees one way and anywhere from 40-170 degrees the other way. same thing if we reverse the inputs. the high signal for both is the same.

So it works good in one direction, no matter which way you connect the signals?

And it misses pulses in the other direction no matter which way you connect the signals?

Sounds like a physical problem with the encoder itself. Can you try a different encoder?

Encoder problem, or mounting/coupling problem. Could be the shaft is getting some axial loading when the line is going reverse, but aye... An encoder should work fine in either direction.

Note: Do use REAL, Quality couplings between the encoder shaft and the prime mover, and pay attention to alignment. "Flexible" couplings are NOT meant to correct mis-alignment, and the "Rubber Hose with Zip Tie's" is Right Out.