REAL newbie need help with A/B 5/03 and software

Hello everyone. I have little to no experience working with PLC's. I have only done a little work on OLD A/B SLC 150's using PCIS. (yes, they still are in use!) Anyway, I've tried to find the answer in previous posts but to no avail....so here goes...and please remember that use simple language for me as this is not my field but I'm finding the need to learn it. Thanks in advance...and here goes.

I'm using and older Dell Latitude laptop computer with the Window 98 SE O/S running on it. This "inherited" laptop has RSLogix 500 English (version 6.00.00) on it, but had no version of RSLinx on it. I have installed RSLinx Lite (version 1.70.62.00) I downloaded from A/B (Rockwell Automation). Now the problem. In the "About RSLinx Lite" under the help menu it says "The family of industrial network communications software for Window NT/95 and A/B Programmable Controllers." Question: is this a software issue the reason I am unable to "talk" to my 5/03 PLC?

What I've done so far - I launch RSLinx Lite, I navigate to the Communications tab, I go to "Configure Drivers", I select 1747-PIC Device, I select the "Add New" tab, under "Configured Drivers:" it says AB_PIC-1 DH485 Sta: 0 COM 1: RUNNING, and below this in the same window it also has VLINK-1 (link ID15), (it won't let me delete this one by the way), then I select "Close".
-Next I launch RSLogix 500
-Next I plug in my 1747-PIC box into my COM 1 port and the ethernet style cable into the PLC 5/03.
-Next.....there is no next! ? I don't know how to talk to the PLC? I've tried the "Go Online" tab in the RSLogix software and it does nothing.

I would be much appreciative if someone could lead me by the hand and step by step give me an idea on what it could be, or, what could be going wrong. Thanks guys.

Open up RSLinx, only close it if your running it as a service (an option selectable in the Start>Programs>Rockwell Software>RSLINX menu) You started your PIC driver successfully but you need to go ahead and connect your PLC to your PC VIA your link. Click on RSWho under your RSLinx to view what it sees and thats where you should see your PLC at. Only go to the RSLogix500 when you are successfully connected though there is a work around that is not suggested to do as it causes bugs. After you got your communication online and tested then you can go to RS500 and have at it. I suggest go to System Comms and double click the PLC under the navigation window. As long as you have the original backup in the 'Projects' folder under RS500's directory, it should go right in, otherwise it will ask you to create new file which will upload but have no discriptions.

See links below for a how-to for your PIC driver. Also see a how-to for the DF1 driver to connect to the SLC5/03's serial port. I would use the serial port first. The PIC driver can be a pain.
If you go with the DF1 driver make sure that only one driver is configured at the same time.

You will need a null-modem cable for the serial port. See PDF below for a pin-out of a null-modem cable.

http://www.plctrainer.net/PICDriverAllenBradley.pdf

This link says for a AB ML1500. but it will work for your SLC5/03 as well.
http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=65&c=11

Click on RSWho (my version says SuperWho) IS THIS THE ONE? under your RSLinx to view what it sees and thats where you should see your PLC at. Only go to the RSLogix500 when you are successfully connected though there is a work around that is not suggested to do as it causes bugs. After you got your communication online and tested then you can go to RS500 and have at it. I suggest go to System Comms and double click the PLC under the navigation window. As long as you have the original backup in the 'Projects' folder under RS500's directory, it should go right in, otherwise it will ask you to create new file which will upload but have no discriptions.[/quote]

I will go down and give this a shot. First I will get the original project put into the "Project" folder. I will update and let you know if I have any success. Appreciate your time and input very much.

No dice. I connected my L.Top to the PLC via the 1747-PIC box, went to Communications tab, window pops up that says "SuperWho Driver Selection" and it says to Select a Configured Driver: so I selected the first of the two options listed which is "AB PIC-1 DH485 Sta: 0 COM1: RUNNING" (the other option listed is "VLINK-1 (link ID 15)" which I said previously it won't let me delete in the Configure Process window / step. Now, another window pops up and in it there is a flashing box (my cursor is flashing also at this point). In the box it has a small pic of a red computer with PIC DRVR written on the screen, beside this in a blacked out area it says STA 0, and below this in the blue portion of this box it says RSI-PIC. Now, I can get this box to pop up whether or not I'm connected to the PLC or not!? I'm certainly not establishing a link between the Laptop and the PLC, that's for sure. Any other ideas? Mickey....I've checked out those screen shots and instructions on the .PDF, which are awewome....thanks....BUT I CAN'T open RSLinx Service Control Panel as an error window pops-up that says "This application can only be used on Windows NT." Ahhhhh, what the heck man!!! Again, any ideas as to why? Does RSLinx Lite only work on Windows NT O/S ?? It won't let me open up the RSLinx Service Control Panel? Anyone know where I might be able to get a copy of RSLinx Classic or Pro at?? (for no $$$ as this isn't going to make me any money, it's just for trying to keep up our existing equip.).

Again, your help is definatley "Thank You" material. Any other ideas?

Your ver of RSlinx is very,very old . You might try upgrading to a later ver that supports Win98 ( Ver.2.43) Its a free download at AB

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/downloads.html

You may have to register ( its free) then click on software updates and select RSLinx Classic, then find ver.2.43.
Its a very large download.

Can you post a screen shot of RsLinx RSwho?

And again try the serial port, much easier.

Last edited:
woodystiffsatalite said:
...I selected the first of the two options listed which is "AB PIC-1 DH485 Sta: 0 COM1: RUNNING"

Try changing the driver configuration so that your PC is a different station number. It is quite possible that the 5/03 is also station 0.

Also, I agree with Mickey that a newer version of RSLinx would be useful...

The service control panel may not apply to your situation, I am not sure if RSLinx can be run as a service under Win98...

Paul

Last edited:
http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/product_list.asp

The software list doesn't say RSLinx Classic ver 2.43 per say. Secondly, it won't let me download without an original software serial number (which I don't have because I got the RSLinx Lite from the A / B site without having to do this?) I will also try to get a screen shot of the SuperWho as requested but this may not be until Monday now. Again, thanks for all the help. Any ideas on how to get a copy of RSLinx Classic??

The only downloadable is the RSLinx Lite 2.43.1 without an original serial key (I take it that this won't work for Windows 98 SE)?? I think I'm understanding that I need at least the Classic to talk to my PLC?

Last edited:
If you floow the link I provideed, the loginin. You should get to a screen like below. You then can select ver 2.43 to download ( its free no serail number needed. Your lnk appears to be current ver only.

select.jpg ver 2.jpg

Mickey....thanks. Your ver.2 .jpg is a picture of the RSLinx Lite version 2.43 and that IS free to download without an existing serial....my question was that if you (or anyone in the community) knew for sure that it has the "Service" portion functioning (ie Windows 98 O/S is supported) with that version of Lite? I hope so cause I'm running outta options! :sick:

I will have to download the 2.43 Lite from home, burn to disk, bring in to work on Monday and install in the ancient Laptop I'm working with (which has no internet ability on it, thus the reason I could not provide a screen shot as requested to show my SuperWho screen). Have a great weekend all, and thanks very much to all of you trying to walk this know nothing guy through this. Cheers! 🍻

Woody

Again, get yourself a null-modem cable ( Radio Shack or Best Buy or what you have up north) and try the DF1 driver . No need for that PIC.

We have both Radio Shack (now called the Source by Circuit City) AND Best Buy EH ! ! If I can get outta my igloo and get the dog sled fired up I will venture to one of them. (provided the wife doesn't make me go out all weekend and russle her up some fresh polar bear and seal meat!)

Good day eh!

I had many issues with PIC and 98. I don't think Rockwell supported very well until they remembered there were still a lot of pic boxes out there and released the WIK 2K PIC patch. I still have a few SLC 500 and 501's (not for long) and I occasionally have problems with PIC and XP with linx 2.52. Your best bet is as Mickey said. Get a null modem cable and use DF1.