i need help about SLC system

hitit

Hello everybody,

i have a slc5/05 system mounted on a 13-slot rack with 11 different I/O modules. system is working properly..

In addition to them , we will have a 7-slot rack , one 1747-ASB module and one PanelView 550(K5A2) . and they will be installed in an area which is at least 30 meters away form the first rack...

1)) for remote i/o use , i need 1747 SN for the 1st rack in order it to see the 2nd rack.. that's OK.
but how can i connect PanelView 550 to the sytem?
its version is K5A2 and hence it's got only 485 output. What are your suggestions about it?

2)) if i change the CPU from 5/05 to 5/03 then it looks easier to solve the problem. Because 5/03 has got a 485 port , i can connect panelView to SLC5/03 through it. But at this point a new problem occurs. The distance between the PanelView and the CPU is more than 30 metres. and i couldn't find a 1747-CXX series cable longer than 6 metres .

what do you say for both of them?

thanks a lot...

You canget yourself a PIC module. Use the rs-232 port on the 5/05 into the PIC, then use the dh485 cord to the pv550. You'll need the PIC power supply, too because the PIC was designed to work the other way around--that is, connect rs232 from a programming PC then dh485 to a 5/03. In that case the PIC gets it's power from the 5/03. In your configuration, the PIC cannot get power from the pview, so you will need the power supply. Locate the PIC and PS at the panelview location, as the dh485 cable has a length limitation. (I think the max length you may buy is 25 ft)

I used this configuration twice, then switched to the rs232 panelviw 550 model. It's a cleaner installation, with a straight connection from serial port to serial port.

Don't forget to configure the SLC serial port to System, dh485, 19,200 baud. And I think this application requires a rs232 null cable, but I don't remember for sure. Your AB rep can help.

Last edited:
In many ways, it may be easier to get yourself a different panelview. A K5A20 has an ethernet port, which would connect to the SLC 5/05 nicely.

To go the SLC 5/03 route, the PIC idea is OK, but looks kind of kludgy. To do it "by the book", you need a 1747-AIC module.

You are both right. You need the 1747-AIC and the 1747-PIC.

The 5/05 needs the PIC to do the RS232 to DH485 conversion and the AIC is needed for the network connection.

So here is what I would do! Add a 1761-NET-AIC (called the AIC+) at the SLC 5/05 chassis. The AIC+ is a PIC and AIC in one unit. Use a serial cable to connect the 5/05 to the AIC+. Connect the DH485 network trunk cable here also.

At the remote location where the PanelView is located add a 1747-AIC (not the AIC+ since no RS232 is needed). Use the 1747-C10 or 1747-C20 style cable to connect the PanelView to the AIC. Connect the other end of the network trunk here.

This would allow your existing equipment to talk to each other. The suggestions on getting Ethernet or RS232 PanelViews would make the easiest connection but also means buying a new PanelView.

OG

Last edited:
Actually, the PIC alone would do the trick--but the rs232 cable would be about 100 feet. This is ill advised by many, but I have 100 foot+ rs232 data in several places working fine, although not for this specific application of a SCL to a pic panelview.

The ethernet method is truly the cleanest.